AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been the happy owner of a ReplayTV 4160 for a little over a year now. Much of the discussion in this forum actually helped convince me last year.

Since I purchased my 4160, I've seen the 4500 series and now the 5000 series come out. As I've been quite satisfied with ReplayTV up to now, I have seriously considered purchasing another.

I was seriously considering a 5000 series ReplayTV (my home theater setup does have component inputs and I figured I'd move the 4160 into the bedroom), but I saw that streaming is not possible at the moment between 5000 and 4000 series ReplayTVs, so I decided to wait. SonicBlue's bankruptcy actually had me seriously looking into Tivo as they seem to have made great strides with their new home media option (or whatever they call it).

While I'm sure it's been in progress for some time (before bankrupcy was declared), what I've read here about 5.0 is REALLY interesting. One of my primary motivators for getting a 2nd ReplayTV is so when there is a conflict, I can "ReplayTV" it and avoid having to struggle to watching one of the programs "live" (ReplayTV has spoiled me) as well as sit through all the commercials. I know any two ReplayTVs can do this even without 5.0, but 5.0 does it "better".

The thing is though that another of my motivators for getting a second ReplayTV is so I can stream from the other ReplayTV. A 5000 series won't be able to stream with my 4160 now, or even with 5.0 (at least from what I've read here). It may or may not be fixed down the road, but with SonicBlue's bankruptcy and D&M taking over, it may not ever happen. I am a bit frustrated that my year old 4160 is already considered obsolete by SonicBlue.

Should I bite the bullet and buy two 5000 series ReplayTVs so I don't have to worry about when/if an update will come in my lifetime to permit streaming between 5000 and 4000 series ReplayTVs? Will D&M honor the "lifetime" activation fee if I plop it down now? I'm sure my parents would appreciate receiving my 4160, but if the "lifetime" activation fee poofs under D&M, I'd be out a ton of money on activation fees alone.

The only other alternative I really see to buying two 5000 series units is to wait. I can't really see buying just one since I won't have the functionality of streaming between the two (kind of an important feature). The downside of course is that 5000/4000 steaming may be quite a ways off yet, despite SonicBlue promising it in the first quarter (aka by March?). If it isn't in 5.0 as appears to be the case, I have to wonder if it's coming at all.

Other than the obvious answer of "it depends how much of a rush you're in to stream between ReplayTVs," does anyone have any words of advice?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
886 Posts
If I was you, I would buy another 4500 series. In fact, that's what I did two months ago. That way, you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of streaming now. There are still some 4500 series units out there. You should be able to find them if you go to your local Good Guys or Circuit City or even online.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Also, the 4xxx series is capable of component video if you use a VGA-->Component video cable. In addition, as a 5000 series owner I can say there are several irritating bugs in the current OS (hopefully, to be fixed soon) that you would do well to avoid.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
5xxx can't stream to 4xxx or 45xx (yet), but can stream to 5xxx and DVArchive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

Another thing I've been thinking of that is solidifying my bias towards purchasing a 5000 series instead of a 4500 (or 4000 if they're still available somewhere) is my 4160 is only a year old and already two upgrades old. I'm thinking that if I buy a 5000 series I'll be in a better position to be supported as time goes on than if I have an older model. The hardware, plus activation fees is a hefty chunk of money and I certainly don't want to be out of luck (again).

Steve

·
Registered
886 Posts
There's no difference between the 4000 series and the 4500 series. The only difference between the models was how they priced them. With the 4000 series, you paid for your lifetime subscription when you bought the machine. The 4500 series didn't include subscriptions during initial purchase. You have to buy those separately ($250 lifetime or $10/month). Replay doesn't consider them to be different models, and in fact they use the same software build.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check Sonicblue's site as they still had 4532's as of a few days ago for a "good" price. Especially as compared to the original price or the price of a 5160.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you thought about selling the 4160 (Ebay) and buying 2 5000 series? It seems like that would solve all of your problems.....

You might even come out ahead... units with activation sell for a high price on Ebay.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.