AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help my parents buy a new HDTV. I told them that DLP seems to be one of the best bang for bucks, the only downside being the replacement of the bulbs every 2-3 years or whatever it is.

What I'm looking for is a nice DLP display that is around $2000. I've been eyeballing some Samsung displays here and there, and found a couple links to them.

We haven't owned an HDTV-capable until this next purchase. I told them to go with 1080p definitely just because it'll help them out in the long run. I'm sure they'll be purchasing HD packages via cable after they get this.

This TV is going to be used for mainly movies and TV, but also I'll be running a Wii and an Xbox 360 on it, so I don't want to have to deal with that audio/video synchronization lag crap.

Here's the display we were looking at...

Samsung HL-S6167W @ Sam's Club

I know there is a lot of good talk about the S6187W, but this model isn't that. It's 20 numbers lower at S6167W :p. Is there any notable differences between the two?

Also I am eyeballing that one also due to the "Game Mode" it has on it. What I'm not sure is if that Game Mode supports 1080p resolution.

That's all I'm going to post, this could probably go on for a bit, but now I'm tipping the hat to you guys to help me out here.

`disco

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only thing I would interject about your proposed purchase is that you should be aware of possible poor PQ on SD channels. Trying to fill a 61" screen with a 480i (SD) signal will probably result in a not so pleasant PQ when you're watching regular (non-hd) programming. That could be a problem for your parents, since the majority of broadcast programming is still SD. If your current set is a traditional CRT direct view tv, your parents may be totally underwhelmed when they tune in one of their favorite shows that's still only broadcast in SD and find the PQ to be fuzzy/grainy and not as good as on their old set. Broadcast HD programming, dvds and gaming shouldn't be a problem with this set.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA BUD /forum/post/0

The only thing I would interject about your proposed purchase is that you should be aware of possible poor PQ on SD channels. Trying to fill a 61" screen with a 480i (SD) signal will probably result in a not so pleasant PQ when you're watching regular (non-hd) programming. That could be a problem for your parents, since the majority of broadcast programming is still SD.

That is of course true for all HDTVs and SD broadcasts. For me, however, 99% of my TV watching (primetime and major sports events) are broadcast in HD. And for SD DVDs, these HDTVs are great.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discobiscuits /forum/post/0

Here's the display we were looking at...

Samsung HL-S6167W @ Sam's Club

I know there is a lot of good talk about the S6187W, but this model isn't that. It's 20 numbers lower at S6167W :p. Is there any notable differences between the two?

Except for the case, the HL-S6167W is a Sam's Club model that is identical to the HL-Sxx87 models.

Will Sam's Club take the set back if you or your parents see "rainbows" when you get the DLP set home? If you can't return the set at no cost for any reason for the first thirty days then you should be careful about what you buy.

There is no way to predict in advance who will be bothered by seeing "rainbows".

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

Will Sam's Club take the set back if you or your parents see "rainbows" when you get the DLP set home? If you can't return the set at no cost for any reason for the first thirty days then you should be careful about what you buy.

I believe Sams Club will take back the set 3 years later for a full refund, no questions asked. I know CostCo will.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich /forum/post/0

Same troll, different name. Feel free to ignore anything he says.

Some advice: Don't quote him since the mods keep deleting his posts, but they remain in others' quotes.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich /forum/post/0

Same troll, different name. Feel free to ignore anything he says.

If you use the edit button you can delete your message. That way you can remove the quote completely.

The best way to deal with posts, when you are sure they came from this individual, is to use the "Report this post" button to alert the admins. They were able to act quicker this weekend than they did last weekend.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch /forum/post/0

I believe Sams Club will take back the set 3 years later for a full refund, no questions asked. I know CostCo will.

There have been several posts about Costco revising their return policy. It's always a good idea to check carefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.