AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on here recently discussing the problem with my Onkyo TX-SR805 and was inclined to not spend a penny more than $150 to repair it due to reliability concerns. I've not had a problem with it to date, though I know many problems exist (LCD goes out, HDMI board going out), etc. So my buddies shop is looking at the receiver. His employee called me the other day and said the front left channel was completely out. It'd be about $275 for repairs. I talked to my buddy today who owns the shop who said he'd do it for $190.

I'm inclined for $190 to fix it. Don't you think? My guess is I'm mostly paying for parts and very little labor here. I kind of wavered on it, and my buddy said I'd be VERY hard pressed to come up with a receiver that approached the same sonic abilities as my 805 for less than $1,400 today. Granted, it may have some features that I don't really care much about (network audio, etc). The only thing I WISH it did was 3D pass through.

I considered just selling the 805 as it would work great as a pre-pro or keeping it and buying an amp to connect to it, or even going with something like this and buying an extended warranty:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR891/DENON-AVR-891-7.1-Channel-105W-A/V-1.4-3D-Ready-Receiver/1.html

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2311CI/DENON-AVR-2311CI-7.2-3D-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

realizing full well the AMP sections on those two receivers are inferior to the Onkyo.

For $190 I'm inclined to fix it.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats  /t/1419975/advice-on-repair-cost-for-onkyo-tx-sr805#post_22213282

For $190 I'm inclined to fix it.

And?.....

I'm not sure what you're thinking. Are you looking to save money by keeping what you've got or are you trying to convince yourself to spend money on a current model?

My ignorant reply is, if you're sincere about saving money and fixing the existing unit, do. If you really want to get the latest and greatest, I'd use this as a good excuse to upgrade. Let the depth of your wallet be your guide.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Your 805 is about 5 years old? To have a channel shot after 5 or less yrs is not typical of other brands but seems to be of Onkyo. Or at least to have some failing within the first 5 years.

The price quoted is cheap though. I guess it depends on your long term goals. The 805 has become somewhat outdated, no 3D, lower class Audussey and many more modern features are missing. In your shoes, I would make the jump to separates. If you can still use the 805's pre-outs( no channel damage there) you could use it as a prepro to drive an amp. I'm doing the same with my 876 and an Outlaw 7125 I got on sale. Use the repair money for that and then next year or so upgrade to a dedicated prepro. Marantz has 2 new models coming out as well as Emotiva and Outlaw. I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality with the switch, but it will set you back 900 or more. So it depends on your goals and pocketbook. But once an 805 has a failure, other things start to crop up. Read the 805 thread, many report this.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts