AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation: I'm planning on moving into a new home in mid-January. I figure since I'm already laying out tons of cash on that, might as well upgrade my home theater too, right? :)

I mostly use my TV for watching DVDs from my DVD player. As a second use, it serves as a monitor for my HTPC, which I use primarily for playing ripped music and downloaded videos. I'd say I'm about 50/50 between the DVD player and music. I watch literally no "television"--don't have an antenna, don't have cable, don't want it. Blasphemy, I know, but that's my preference.

For a display unit, I'm leaning heavily towards the Samsung HLN56 or HLN61. I like these units for a couple of reasons:
  • To my eye, they offer a more consistently good picture than the CRT units I've seen on display. Sure, some say that CRT, when tweaked, offers the best picture ever, but I can accept some decrease in PQ to avoid having to constantly tweak my set.
  • Size and weight, obviously. I like the idea that I will be able to move the set around if I have to and set it on a stand, making more efficient use of my living room space. Stand-mounting will also give me the flexibility of adjusting the display height, which you can't do with CRT-RP TVs.
  • Field of view. I am really distracted by the significant brightness variance when you get outside of a CRT's "sweet spot". The HLN's seem to have a much wider horizontal and vertical "sweet spot".
  • Brightness uniformity. Every CRT I've seen on display has enough brightness difference between the center and the edges to be distracting to me. I don't notice this with the HLNs.
  • VGA and DVI input. No burn-in. Sweeeeet. Good for the HTPC.

But here's the thing (begin whining): I'm torn by the $1000 to $2500 price difference between even a higher-end CRT and the Samsung HLN56 or HLN61. For THAT MUCH money, I'd sure like to convince myself that a CRT could be good enough. I could live without a VGA or DVI input. I could live with a heavier, bigger set. But I can't live with (what I see as) as an unacceptable field of view and brightness uniformity.

Anybody care to offer any advice? CRT pundits, here's your chance--sell me!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just got a new HLN467W.

While I couldn't get the words to actually flow from her mouth, my wife siletly admitted that THIS TIME, I have made a good choice! (I have the D1 on order too....pq-wise, that will be a great choice, but from what I'm reading of failure problems, I'm beginning to wonder). We watched our movie and the colors were vibrant, picture quality was excellent (I used the Faroudja deinterlacer over the pioneer dv-37 elite's built-in deinterlacer as the set's Far. chip blows it out of the water, easily!), and I have not tweaked it one bit. Sure, I'm no expert, but I can tell the difference between awesome, decent, and crappy. Mine is awesome. You can definitely see FAR MORE detail than my dead crappy pana ct-34wx50 (I once praised this too-dark set like crazy, however, and now I am only too glad it has died).

So opinions will be what they will be, but I can say this. My wife hated the old 34" directview set from day 1. She has not had complaints on this set. This is a very good thing. (actually, her only complaint is that it is too big, but I'm finding 46" WS to be right about ideal....for us, we wouldn't want larger. And I wouldn't recommend smaller than the 43"....at a 7.5 to 9 foot viewing distance, this seems to be fairly ideal. (most seats are a 9' distance)

Ross

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rpgoldberg
While I couldn't get the words to actually flow from her mouth, my wife siletly admitted that THIS TIME, I have made a good choice!
Out of how many attempts? :D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
loraan,

I think you should have argued yourself into it by this point, given the good points you make in your post. Another thing to consider is the progressive quality degradation and need for regular calibrations needed by CRT-based sets. Yes, no one has actually proven it in practice, but the DLP-based sets are supposed to last a very long time: 100K hours for the HD2 and 25K hours for the colorwheel. The bulb is rated to last 8K hours and replacing it should return the set to like-new quality.

My last set was a Pioneer Elite and the quality loss over a number of years *was* noticable, at least to me. My biggest current attraction to DLP technology is the potential for greater long-term quality. Even if I only keep a set for 5 years its resale potential should be greater (albeit taking continual price drops into account).

Net net: I would personally go with the DLP in your situation. Most owners are reporting good results. There is a question of regular SD quality, but based on your viewing needs this doesn't sound like an issue.

·
Registered
15,906 Posts
I bought the 56 inch Samsung DLP, and can't recommend it enough. You're correct that the viewing angle is much better than CRT. Also, if you mostly watch DVDs, then the DVI input is essential (I'm waiting for the next generation of DVI-out DVD players, which I bet will be coming out in the next 6 months; I hear they make DVDs look almost high def). I'm 10 feet away, and it's a perfect size. I have not noticed any rainbows or any other artifacts mentioned in other threads, but check it out for yourself at a local store.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll be the procrastination pundit. Since you will not be moving in until January I would wait until you are settled in your new abode and then recheck this forum for what is the latest and greatest. This TV world changes rapidly, and with the constant improvements that Samsung is doing with it's DLP's sets hopefully it will be worth the wait.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmoser
I'll be the procrastination pundit.
Amateur! :mad:

I would do what jdmoster would do. In fact I seem to have already done it three times. :rolleyes:

Samsung is contently cranking out firmware revisions and they also seem to have improved the light engine as far as internal reflections go. Who knows, you might even get the new "DLP+/Color Wheel" combination in January.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, no--you're supposed to be talking me into the CRT , not the DLP! :D

I'm definitely not going to buy until the January time frame, so you're right: there is time to let the market evolve. Who knows--maybe in four months, the Samsung will have dropped a few hundred dollars (but maybe not, the way they're selling).

I went on another scouting expedition today. I swear, by the time I buy, this'll be the best-researched purchase I make! After researching this forum, it sounds like Mitsubishi and Hitachi make some of the better CRTs out there, so I gave them a serious look. Was really impressed with the picture on a Hitachi S500. I also looked at a couple of the Mitsubishi Diamond models and really liked the glare reduction on the polarized screen. With both models, I specifically looked for edge-to-edge brightness and viewing angle and found that in the better models, it wasn't as bad as I had seen in the worse models.

Thanks for y'all's input! It doesn't sound like anybody's chiming in yet saying, "No, no! CRTs CAN have even edge-to-edge brightness and a decent viewing angle!" Seriously?

·
Registered
282 Posts
That everyone can understand.

I LOVE MY Sammy HLN467W. I LOVE my wife too, but it is a different kind of love. I hate my (broken) Pana CT-34WX50 direct-view that died after only 3 1/2 years, but started having numerous capacitor leaks only 1.5 yrs into its life and thus made me buy a warranty this time since that 34" beast was immovable versus its 46" replacement.

I LOVE DLP. I don't see rainbows. Doesn't mean you will or won't. I don't see any other problems. Doesn't mean you will or won't.

But one of my friends constantly drools over LCDs (used to be plasma) and of course he won't get DLP since I did....but the bottom line is you can talk about it forever and do NOTHING or you can buy it.

To the person moving in January...even the set I got, which I consider ideal in size for a 9' viewing distance, is a mere 72 pounds. As far as I'm concerned it is a featherweight. Btw, I got the Bell'o B740 (might be 640) which I heartily recommend. Perfect size for that set.

I also bought everything at bestbuyplasma (gee, guess the link). I dealt with the supervisor, Albert, and he gave me SUPERB service....I definitely would recommend him based on MY experience. I got my DLP 8 days after placing the order and the stand 11 days after ordering.

And the HLN467W is definitely tough to TRULY find in stock.

You can wait for forever, but if you're ultimately going to buy it, there's really little point in waiting. Think about it.

Ross

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm with you loraan, DLP advantages out weigh the choice between it and regular RPHD Tvs. I have a 6 month old Sony 46" which was the smallest (with the best PQ) I could find. Now the wife has decided to remodel our living room and I need a TV which is 16" or less deep and the Sammys are just right for this. I had no trouble selling my Sony (although my friend hasn't picked up yet and I am in no hurry for him to do so :) ) but I am going to wait until the project is completely done before picking up the Sammy HLN437W or HLN467W, I figure supplies will be more plentiful by then and hopefully prices might come down a bit. CC does not have any one display here, BB and Sears are still showing the HLN4365W so I take it the HLNxx7W series are coming out slowly... I have seen them on-line but I am very leery of buying such a expensive TV on-line, if anything did go wrong with the set I could see nothing but hassles with a long distance purchase...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinger
CC does not have any one display here, BB and Sears are still showing the HLN4365W so I take it the HLNxx7W series are coming out slowly... I have seen them on-line but I am very leery of buying such a expensive TV on-line, if anything did go wrong with the set I could see nothing but hassles with a long distance purchase...
I'm in a suburb of Atlanta. CC has an HLN50 and BB has an HLN43, but only the Hi-Fi Buys (Tweeter) has the newer HLN46 and HLN56 on display. They're also the only ones with the HLN617W on display. I'm sure CC and BB would sell me whichever model I wanted, but whether they could get it is another thing altogether. The guy at Hi-Fi Buys says they can't keep 'em in stock and sell to a waiting list. Of course, what would a sales guy say, right? But posts on this forum seem to confirm that Hi-Fi Buys/Tweeter's wait time is significant. That's what I see as the advantage of going with an on-line retailer. In some cases, they drop ship right from the Samsung warehouse--the retailer doesn't even have a warehouse!

·
Registered
282 Posts
First of all, if you are deciding between the 43[7|65] or the 467, get the 467 (provided the few hundred isn't going to break your bank). For an extra half inch of cabinet width, you get SIGNIFICANTLY more screen real estate and the bezel also gives the illusion of more real estate.

I LOVE my new 467. Incidentally, as I was preparing to push my ct-34wx50 pana direct-view out to the dumpster, I decided to plug it in one more time just to see if it came back to life...lo and behold, it did! (so now it is for sale, used-as is)....I cannot begin to describe the difference in PQ for SDTV between the two....the DLP blew it out of the water---not even close!

Get the Sammy DLP....it shouldn't disappoint!!!

Ross

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.