AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A retailer in my area has a limited number of refurbished HD-100 DirectTV receivers on sale for $625. They have a mesh top as opposed to the covered box to reduce problems associated with heat.

Should I go ahead and pick one up now or should I wait for the successor to this unit? I will have my HDTV set in August, so there is no rush. At the same time, once I get the set I don't want to wait 6 months for Sony to release a new version.

BTW: The HD-100 has all of the firmware updates.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
XFactor:

The price seems high for a used box. I bought mine new 8 months ago for $679. Otherwise, I recommend it. Despite some problems reported by others, I’ve never had one with mine. It has one particularly nice feature, which is the variable 480i/1080i output, which I believe is unique to the Sony. This does automatic switching between 480i and 1080i through its component outputs. I use it with a 50†plasma this way, and it works great. No switching or fooling around with remote controls.

There is a successor due out in the next few months but I don’t have any details on it. I understand from some other posts that it may be based on the Hughes unit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also paid about the same amount on eBay for a new unit about 2 months ago. BTW, the unit does produce heat, but I don't think there is any problems reported associated with it. In fact, some that have complained about fan noise have actually removed the fan entirely without any other problems.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
JorgeGVB:

I agree with your comment about heat. Mine runs warm to the touch, but not hot. I also don't find the fan noise a problem, but I sit about 14 feet away from it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Also if I recall correctly Sony said the HD100 would be out in Jan 01 I think it was more like july. STBs seem to always be released far later than stated. As for you Hd100 I dont think it is a bad price seeing as all the modifications an patches are there. It sure beats paying S&H to send it in not to mention the agravation of calling Sony. 480i-1080i variable output thru components is very nice. Exellent stb for 4x3 tv.

Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a HD-100, an old RCA DTC, and 2 Zenith DTV 1080's. I like the zenith boxes much more than my Sony. They are quieter, have better program guides, have a really nice aspect ratio control, you have multiple choices for output, and an excellent tuner for ota digital reception. The downside is having a switch on the back to change output, but I just leave mine on 1080i and do not bother to access it. The Sony is not worth only a $150 savings over the Zenith.

Richard Pence

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Something krs7272 mentioned caught my eye. He said the HD-100 is a great receiver for a 4x3 TV. The set this will be used on is the replacement to the Sony KD-34XBR2, a 16x9 TV. Does the HD-100 not work correctly with 16x9 units?

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.