AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an advice for where to place speakers in my living room.

I have yet to buy them so i can still choose between wall mounted or on the floor.

From the various listenings, i'd for sure prefer floor speakers though i'm unsure if i have a right place to fit them.

I'd be mostly listening music on the sofa and near the kitchen table, though i'd like to hear a good embracing sound everywhere in the living room. Aiming to a 2.0 system, only for music listening, no tv of sort in the room.

Infront of the sofa there is a fireplace, which blows out very hot air in winter

To me it's a dauting task, given i'm an absolute beginner in this kind of things. I can see different solutions but all of them have defects. I hope to find some lighting here.

Living room is 160 inch by 385 inch. Attached some pics of it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It might help if you can provide room dimensions.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt /forum/post/18148223

I need an advice for where to place speakers in my living room.

I have yet to buy them so i can still choose between wall mounted or on the floor.

From the various listenings, i'd for sure prefer floor speakers though i'm unsure if i have a right place to fit them.

I'd be mostly listening music on the sofa and near the kitchen table though i'd like to hear a good embracing sound everywhere in the living room.

Infront of the sofa there is a fireplace, which blows out very hot air in winter

To me it's a dauting task, given i'm an absolute beginner in this kind of things. I can see different solutions but all of them have defects. I hope to find some lighting here.

Attached some pics of the living room.

Assuming you will sit on the sofa and the display will be accross over the fireplace, speaker placement is quite obvious since you have enough room on the sides as well as behind the sofa for surround placement. You can even do a 7.1 from the looks of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
room is 160 inch by 385 inch.

@hd_newbie: sorry i'm not sure where you think is the right place. if you mean near the fireplace, i'm scared that heat could harm the speakers (once I left a guitar in the corner near the sofa and in a few days it went down two whole tones!)

probabily i should have mentioned that i'll be only listening to music, aiming to a 2.0 system, no tv of sort in the room

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
The obvious place for stereo speakers is on each side of the kiva fireplace, slightly toed-in to aim at the listening position. That said, you need to run a little experiment - put inexpensive thermometers in each location and record the temperature when the fireplace is running. If it is blowing most of the hot air towards the sofa, it may remain much cooler on the two recessed sides. Speakers can handle some extended temperature ranges...they are not highly stressed tuned guitar strings, but you do not want to cook them.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt /forum/post/18148726

room is 160 inch by 385 inch.

@hd_newbie: sorry i'm not sure where you think is the right place. if you mean near the fireplace, i'm scared that heat could harm the speakers (once I left a guitar in the corner near the sofa and in a few days it went down two whole tones!)

probabily i should have mentioned that i'll be only listening to music, aiming to a 2.0 system, no tv of sort in the room

I think you need to find another room for your stereo. If you are using that fireplace for heat as opposed to just decoration, you might want to consider adding a room humidifier. The high heat is drying the air out in the room and may do serious damage to wood if enough humidity is not provided.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18148847

I think you need to find another room for your stereo. If you are using that fireplace for heat as opposed to just decoration, you might want to consider adding a room humidifier. The high heat is drying the air out in the room and may do serious damage to wood if enough humidity is not provided.

I would kill the fireplace, but this is just me.

I wondered whether he could use the cubic area under the stairwell for 2 speakers, but too many walls for bass and the area seems too narrow for proper separation. Hard to say by the picture though, so maybe not. Adding a sub would certainly help since it would provide better placement flexibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18148861

the cubic area under the stairwell

exaclty hd_newbie, that is the only place we agreed it could work after hours of discussion with my girlfriend (see pic attached). which i'm afraid of for the separation issue. placing one speaker totally in the left corner i think is either a bad idea because there is stairs which are an obstacle - even if not totally closed. beside is ugly

the other option i could came up with is forgetting floor speaker and having something wall mounted. not that i see a perfect place

i can't change room
i live here most of the time. at some point i'll just have to take some compromise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18148814

..If it is blowing most of the hot air towards the sofa, it may remain much cooler on the two recessed sides...

this is the real thing. blows air from both sides down to the floor. there is an embedded air humidifier in the fireplace, but it's just too hot. some times is even difficult to stay near the fireplace.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekt /forum/post/18149029

exaclty hd_newbie, that is the only place we agreed it could work after hours of discussion with my girlfriend (see pic attached). which i'm afraid of for the separation issue. placing one speaker totally in the left corner i think is either a bad idea because there is stairs which are an obstacle - even if not totally closed. beside is ugly

the other option i could came up with is forgetting floor speaker and having something wall mounted. not that i see a perfect place

i can't change room
i live here most of the time. at some point i'll just have to take some compromise

In that case, I would suggest you go with monitors rather than full-sized. Separate the bass from speakers. There is no way you will get accurate bass response in that location with full-sized speakers.

I wonder if ribbon tweeters with their wide dispersion would help overcome the separation problem. I would probably search for ribbon bookshelves and a separate good quality subwoofer.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18149098

In that case, I would suggest you go with monitors rather than full-sized. Separate the bass from speakers. There is no way you will get accurate bass response in that location with full-sized speakers.

I wonder if ribbon tweeters with their wide dispersion would help overcome the separation problem. I would probably search for ribbon bookshelves and a separate good quality subwoofer.

I would agree with this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.