AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am moving into a new home soon. Following is the configuration:

Room size: 17 x 13 ft

Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 5.1 speakers

Receiver: Onkyo TX SR-702

Projector: Panasonic AE700..

Can you please tell if this is a good setup? Your help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

W2B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
no negativity involved in this post, but switch out the bose for a different speaker package or seperates (i.e. quintet, micra6, point5), and then your all set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
LOL! I have a bose setup myself. If u spend time reading the forums u will find that most people have a strong dislike for Bose. But its understood i suppose. Its like paying alot of money for the advertising, not the product. I'd help u out too but since i'm a Bose owner speaker setup is the last thing i would know about.. ask me about computers or something..


:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Yeah I second dropping the Bose speakers. For what you pay for the Bose you can get a nice speaker pkg from Athena, Energy, Mirage, Paradigm, PSB etc.. (yes I AM partial to Canadian speakers :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM
Yeah I second dropping the Bose speakers. For what you pay for the Bose you can get a nice speaker pkg from Athena, Energy, Mirage, Paradigm, PSB etc.. (yes I AM partial to Canadian speakers :) )
Nice same here, I love API.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
MandM, you forgot Axiom :) I love my Canadian Axiom's, take off ehhhhh ;) Can't believe the green some people spend on Bose. Back in my High School days they made decent speakers, it is just not the same these days.


Randy


Axiom m60's vp150 ep350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S DVD



a
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper0
LOL! I have a bose setup myself. If u spend time reading the forums u will find that most people have a strong dislike for Bose. But its understood i suppose. Its like paying alot of money for the advertising, not the product. I'd help u out too but since i'm a Bose owner speaker setup is the last thing i would know about.. ask me about computers or something..


:D
When you say pay for advertising, what advertising? The most I've seen is commercials for the Wave Radio, don't know about magazines (but most companies have ads there too), the only other thing is the special displays at stores, but that can't really be it. Where is all the money for advertising going?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Youve never seen anything on their 321 setup or their headphones in commercials, or radio? All their ads in mags, bose stores in the mall? Kinda hard not to see bose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
Youve never seen anything on their 321 setup or their headphones in commercials, or radio? All their ads in mags, bose stores in the mall? Kinda hard not to see bose.


I haven't seen Bose stores, just those setups at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and so on. I haven't really bought magazines, but it's not hard to guess they're not the only ones that run ads, so what makes bose different in that area. I listen to talk radio most the time, no bose ads there, if anything just the Wave Radio. I'm not saying their advertising isn't there, but some how it hasn't reached me more than any other speaker brand, but yet their name some how carries more weight or prestige than other retail speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
I dont like knocking any brand its just when something is said to be the best and doesnt have much to back it up with. Bose are alright speakers, but when compared to others it usually fails to compete. However because of marketing, and word of mouth its supposedly the best sound in audio, and then of course they mark up their prices, which gives only more reason to the average consumer that because its more expensive it must be better no questions asked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
I dont like knocking any brand its just when something is said to be the best and doesnt have much to back it up with. Bose are alright speakers, but when compared to others it usually fails to compete. However because of marketing, and word of mouth its supposedly the best sound in audio, and then of course they mark up their prices, which gives only more reason to the average consumer that because its more expensive it must be better no questions asked.
I wonder though, considering their size, and that being a big factor in a purchase, how much better do Bose sound against other cheap HT in a box systems with speakers that small? Hopfully they do good against those when someone doesn't care about price and wants decent sound with the smallest speakers possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Comparing Bose to cheap htibs is really not a fair comparison, however Bose should win out. Integrated htibs are usually worth next to nothing. So with that argument I might agree, however there some other high quality speakers out there that are small as well, Mirage omnisats for one, plenty of others, in fact there is a thread somewhere Ill find it in a few and Ill add it on here.


Addition: here is a link to sethwas's thread on small speakers. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=439068
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am planning on buying Onkyo SKS-HT240 instead of the Bose 5.1 Acoustimass..What do u guys think..

So my setup will be

Room size: 17 x 13 ft

Speakers: ONKYO SKS-HT240

Receiver: Onkyo TX SR-702

Projector: Panasonic AE700..

DVD Player: some sony


Also planning to subscribe to comcast HD..But where do I connect the comcast co-axial cable..advise please???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAT2BUY
Also planning to subscribe to comcast HD..But where do I connect the comcast co-axial cable..advise please???
Wouldn't comcast rent you an HD tuner box for $5 a month if you don't have tv with a built in HD tuner. So you'd connect the cable line to the box and then use whatever outputs it has to connect to your projector. I think it's only $10 a month to go for an HD DVR, which is pretty good since the dish companies make you pay atleast $250 for one.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top