AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to integrate 2 subs into my theater room. I cannot level match the subs and the speakers at THX 75dB. With the speakers set to 75dB, the sub is about 5 - 7 dB too hot at the processors lowest possible sub trim level (-12dB). I'm currently using the "Direct" inputs on the subs, which bypasses the sub's volume control and crossover, allowing the processor to control crossover and volume.

I can level match the speakers and sub at about 82dB, meaning I actually raise all of speakers from the 75dB level, up to the sub's level. Is this the best solution, or should I use the 'normal' input on the sub, which engages the sub's volume control and crossover. Under that scenario, I would set the subs crossover at max to get it out of the way, and level the subs and speakers at 75dB with the help of the sub's volume control.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sure you know your subwoofer controls but I have not been familiar with subs where the hook-up for allowing the processor to handle the crossover also overroad the volume control. Are you certain this is the case? Obviously one of the primary functions of the volume control of course is to level match your system. I think I would double check and be certain that you actually have bypassed the volume control.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
I can level match the speakers and sub at about 82dB, meaning I actually raise all of speakers from the 75dB level, up to the sub's level
As long as all your speakers are calibrated to the same volume level (whether 75 or 82dB), you'll be fine. Your reference level, if you ever turn it up that high, will just be louder...

Having said that, I think the previous posters are on to something. If you up the sub's gain control, does the meter read a higher level???

John

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sub's Direct input bypasses both the volume control and crossover. I know that many do not (Velodyne, for instance), but the Athena does. I believe that it effectively maxes-out the volume in this mode.

I'm thinking that in order to keep another crossover out of the equation (who knows what that brings with it), I will simply calibrate to the higher 'reference.'

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
I will simply calibrate to the higher 'reference.'
Can't see as how it will hurt, since most volume controls have plenty of range. You'll just be turning it up to "25" instead of "20". Lower is louder, at least on my 49txi...

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.