AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local hifi store is moving locations and clearing out a lot of their inventory. There is a really good deal on a good 2 channel amp. Would buying 3 of these amps and hooking them up to an Audigy 2 or Revolution be better/comparable/worse than getting a receiver like the Yammy 1400 instead?

I know the question is a bit vague due to a lot of variables, but I was just wondering the thought and opinions out there.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I kind of feel like I may have moved over to the Dark Side. I have had a B&K 3090 coupled with a B&K AV5000 5 channel amp for a number of years and always been in favor of a component based system. I recently went to an audiophile friends house and asked him what he was running these days. He still has his high end system for listening to LPs and high end CDs but he switched his component system on the theater to a Pioneer Receiver. The W&KAF is much higher. Now they can run the projector, the TV and all of the boxes with just a simple turn of a knob or poke of a button on the remote. I smiled, thought about it a few days and ordered up a 7 channel receiver. It is do in tomorrow. Complete with automatic band EQ and time alignment of all 7 channels. We'll see how it sounds compared to the component system that only I could run.

..Doyle

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it sounds like you have a shootout against yourself. It will be interesting to hear your results and opinions. I am assuming you got a Pioneer. Was it the VSX49TXI or did you climb up higher on the ladder?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A full set of mono amps or 2 channel amps will probabl outperform a single multichannel amp.

BUT the big pain in the arse is that you have 3 or 4 separate power points, volume controls, no AV switching etc etc. Its just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Actually I didn't climb as high as a VSX49TXi. I opted for the VSX53TXi. It is hard to believe the amount of features in this box for $700. Power just isn't a problem with my system. A self powered sub really reduces the power requirement for the other amps as most of the energy is in the bass notes. The Pioneer has 100 watts per channel and that is what the AV5000 had and I am no where near driving that to its limits. The Pioneer arrived yesteday and I will likely install it tonight. I am looking forward to seeing if I can tell the difference with the THX adjustments since my B&K did not have that. I also need to put in the two rear channels now so that will be another challenge.

..Doyle

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats with the new purchase. I am certainly curious how well the auto adjustments will work. Good luck with the set up. Be sure to keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
the 45tx works very well. check out the audio section of the forums for more info.
Thank you for the advice. However, I am interested in how his 53tx configured with the MCACC will sound compared to his separates that he had configured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.