Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm fiddling with the idea of upgrading my system to something a little more robust than what I have. Nothing to big, just the "next step up" kind of thing.

My current setup is Paradigm Cinema 70 (4 satellites and 1 center channel) and a Paradigm PS-1200 sub (I know, way too big for the satellites!). My receiver is a Denon 1803 and a DVD-V/A Panny CP-72K.

I feel like my front paradigms try too hard to reproduce stuff so I've been thiking about getting mini monitors instead. Really my only limitation is that they cannot be floorstanding or on stands. They can be either on wall brackets or on a bookshelf.

A couple of questions I have are:

Can the mini-monitors be wall mounted? should they?

Can I keep my cinema 70 for rears and center or should I upgrade them as well? if so, what rears/centers would you recommend ?

Thanks!

Jorge

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mini Monitors are rear ported. If you are going to mount them on wall brackets you need to make sure that they have some spece between the back of speaker and wall. otherwise you will gte port "Chuffing". I have the Minis mounted on wall brackets in the rear. You need good brackets also they are pretty heavy.

You sould at least upgrade the center to CC 370. The Cinima center will sound VERY differnt from the Monitor series and give some bad panning effects in front.

If you want to keep the cinemas for the rears and mostly for movies (and you don't want to spend $) you should be fine. If it is 5 CH music the best setup would be 4 Minis. If you don't want that (and it were me) I'd probaly go with Atoms in the rear. They sound much better than Cinema and mount easily on wall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jorge:

Sounds like you are looking to up the ante without sacrificing the look of your room.

I wonder if Paradigm's new on-wall monitors might be exactly what you are looking for.

Check them out HERE

Good luck with your decision,

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
err.. aren't the cabinets on the thin side? how can they produce bass, then?

They don't LOL

Actually the REGULAR Mini Monitors go down to 40HZ (well that is what they say but from owning them I'd say that is a little but not super optomistic)

The on walls only go to 63 HZ. But since you most likley will cross even the fronts over at 80 HZ it really should not be an issue. Thanks for pointng them out. I've be mulling what to do if I ever wanted to go 7.1 hmmmm might be an option never know.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
err.. aren't the cabinets on the thin side? how can they produce bass, then?
Usually speakers that are designed to be be wall-mounted use the wall as an infinite baffle to increase bass output. This is why they'll sound think off of the walls and why 'regular' speakers may sound too bassy when placed up against a wall.

Kal

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for their responses,

I really like the idea of the on-wall mini-monitors... however, I also like the ability of being able to horizontally-direct the speakers when you use wall brackets (something I would lose if I go with the on-wall minis)

JamieSapp> Do you have any pictures of what your wallbrackets look like? And also, I assume you had to drill on the back of the minis to be able to hook these brackets too right? or do they come with pre-drill holes in them?

here's a picture of my setup
http://home.comcast.net/~jcambero/Co...s_Finished.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.