AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a EAD Encore along with Definitive Technology BP 30's /CLR2000/BP6. While I love these speakers for HT, I think I can do better with music sources. Again, I'm "thinking"I could. I'm trying to figure out the next upgrade route to take that would give me a noticeable improvement when playing music. I've had the BP 30's for while now and have an upgrade itch to go to something different since going to the EAD sound. Does anyone have this match? I'm really interested in Revel M20's or an similar contender (Swan (?) Divas) out there. It can be a bookshelf speaker. I also drive the BP 30's with an HKPA5800, which may be my problem..I may need more power to see what these things can do. I've heard nothing but high marks for Dynaudio, Revel, Swan, B&W 805 and would like something in the $2000 price range given that I can sell the BP30's... Have I reached "depreciated returns?" Can I actually find something that will match with the CLR2000 (temp), EAD Encore and can be driven by the HK amp around that price that will sound great for both music and movies?

I gotta have detail,detail, detail.

Imaging

dynamics/punch

soundstage

clear vocals

Has anyone "upgraded" from the Def Tech line to something more of an "audiophile speaker"?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
At this price point I prefer the sound of a high quality bookshelf (better clarity, midrange, & imaging). A quality subwoofer will provide adequate 'punch'. Are you looking for new or used speakers? Revel is a good starting point. Also check out the ProAc One SC (very detailed)...-

·
Registered
404 Posts
have you thought about norh

there 9.0 sm are in your price range

a friend has the 7.0 and they are incredable-im saving for the 9.0

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Greg.. try proac 1 SC... they are really musical speakers

edwin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Greg.. try proac 1 SC... they are really musical speakers

edwin

·
Registered
529 Posts
You may want to check out www.vmpsaudio.com and look at the RM 2, or if they are in your budget, the RM 40. The Neodynium midranges are incredible. I recently replaced my Martin Logan Prodigies with a pair of RM 40s. The RM 2s are an incredible bargain also. You can read some user reviews and comments here

Happy listening!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sonus Faber are very nice, incrediby musical. Thiel as well, with outstanding imaging. The problem here is that many of the good "stereo" L/R speakers have only adequate centers, and the ones that are relly better all around are more expensive. ProAc Response line is top notch, as are B&W nautilus, Vienna Acoustics and Vandersteen Audio. The product offerings are numerous and very competitive in this price range, so you should take your time and audition as much as possible.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
319 Posts
First, let me start by saying that I'd advocate you listening to check things out for yourself.

Now, my contribution. If you want to check out the Diva's in person, go to the web site www.audioenvy.com and sign up for an audition. At your price point ($2000), I can check on the Diva 6.1's. A pair of them will cost about $1400 (but they sound much better then they cost, so don't let the cost fool you). If you are concerned about matching center, you can pick up the Diva C3 for $499. If you do decide to get the 6.1's and the C3, call av123 and see if they have a special or can make it into a special for you. :)

I know your looking for fronts for musical sound, but let me throw in a little something about the Diva C3 center. I had a friend over who's been working with speakers for about 20 years or so AND he seems to know his stuff. Whenever I ask him questions (and sometimes I know the answer, but just want to confirm) and dive into the reasons, he comes up good. Anyways, at the time, I only had the C3 (center) and 2 R3's (rear surround dipole), and a couple computer speakers for the fronts. :p Anyways, he heard the C3. He's comment was "If the Diva 6.1's are anywhere as good as the center (C3), you are going to LOVE them!"

Still I suggest you listen to the speakers that everyone suggusts. Despite a lot of people raving about the Diva 6.1's, C3 and others, people have different tastes, but I think they are worth checking out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THanks for the replies everyone! I was kinda hopin that someone would tell me that my Def Tech's are just as "musical" but the one's mentioned here I hear are great for music soundtracks and good for sound effects as well. I was very impresed with PMC LB1 (i think) Aerial 7b's, B&W 805's to name few but most are outta my price range. So theoretically, speakers will make the biggest difference for me and not a new amp?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.