AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to connect an AccessDTV HDTV tuner card (VGA output) to a Sony GWII. I understand that I will need a VGA to component video transcoder. After various searches here and elsewhere online I was able to find several transcoders. However, I could not find much advice or opinions as to which transcoder to use.

The ones I am looking at are the Key Digital KD-VTCA3 & KD-VTCA2, Audio Authority 9A60, and the RCA VHDC300. Are there any others that I should be looking at?

Are they all pretty much the same? My foremost concern is image quality followed by features and then price.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Stay away from the RCA. The Key Digital or Audio Authority transcoders are safe bets. I use an Audio Authority and haven't had any problems. The AA is a bit cheaper but doesn't have the VGA passthrough. You won't go wrong whichever you choose.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I like my Audio Authority transcoder myself though I've read several times that the Key Digital puts out a better overall signal. For me the extra $100US wasn't worth it for my purposes. That said I don't have any complaints about the AA one.

So if you're looking for pic quality first and aren't completely concerned about cost, get the Key Digital one, IMO.

·
Registered
502 Posts
RCA works okay for me, but I'll probably be upgrading some time in the future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the Key Digital VTCA2 to connect my Access DTV card to my GWII and it works fine. I find I need to set DIP switch 5 to negative sync rather than positive sync, contrary to what the Key Digital instructions suggest.

I got the Key Digital product because the GWII's native resolution is 720p and the VTCA2 will pass the Access DTV 720p signal without converting it to 1080i. I'm not sure that this is true of the AA product. This also permits me to use the GWII as a computer monitor with the Key Digital converter when I set my display resolution to 1280x720 with Powerstrip, though this produces some overscan.

·
Registered
106 Posts
George Platz:
Quote:
I got the Key Digital product because the GWII's native resolution is 720p and the VTCA2 will pass the Access DTV 720p signal without converting it to 1080i. I'm not sure that this is true of the AA product.
None of the will convert any scan rates whatever. They are color space mappers taking sums/difference of RGB and combining with sync signal to create component video. Because the combinations required vary with scan rates 480/i/p SD vs 1080 HD etc. they must detect sync rates and also scale the sync waveforms from TTL level to video specs to add into the Y output, but no frequency conversions are possible with any of them.

gtrogue:
Quote:
Stay away from the RCA.
Why? Whats wrong with this one?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've heard bad things about, never used one myself. Most people I've spoken with that have used the

AA or KD transcoders and the RCA say it is not as good.

·
Registered
809 Posts
George,

Any resolution input to either of the transcoders will be converted to component, not just 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The instructions for the VTCA2 require DIP switches to be set to sync with either a 480p, 720p, or 540p (1080i) VGA input. I therefore assumed that such transcoders are limited as to the scan rates they will convert to component. In any event, the only question I have raised is whether the AA transcoder will sync to the 720p VGA output of the Access DTV card and convert it to component for the GWII monitor, as will the Key Digital transcoder. Perhaps someone with an AA transcoder can answer this question.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The AA transcoder is automatic (no DIP switches) and it doesn't have any problems with 720p. I've used multiple resolutions and timings with my AA transcoder with no problems.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've asked this question before, but never got a sufficient response. What qualitative differences do folks see among the KD, AA and RCA transcoders?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
the other great benefit is that it offers more than the key digital for a bunch less money.
Okay, you stoked my curiosity. What, exactly, do you mean by "more"? I notice it's $125 on the page you posted, but $139 @ http://www.crescendo-systems.com/transcoder.html.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
should start from here...
Hmm. One thing I noticed is no mention of 540p. Perhaps it's color is the same as for 1080i? And it is unclear as to whether one must manually switch from negative to positive sync on the transcoder itself, or through Powerstrip (probably the latter) when going from 480p to 720p/1080i.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just found 2 other possible choices: the GHV-1000 and the GPV-2000 . Anyone ever heard of these devices? Wondering how they compare to the mighty Key Digital...

·
Registered
878 Posts
eswrite,

I am the one offering the Crescendo-Systems one that has been developed here. I will try to answer your questions.

1) It does run 540p. I actually run it in that mode myself. The TV reports it as 1080i and therefore expects a 1080i color conversion.

2) To set the color conversion you have to set the polarity of the sync, which you can do in PS. This you will have to do by hand, the transcoder itself is totally ignorant about scanrates.

3) The more it offers are the loop-through and the two color matrices.

4) The price for forum members is $125, you can find the special link in the deals area to get this.

Kim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.