AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
It's definitely safest to recommend Amazon (Big River) over anything else at this point. They're very good with big-ticket items. The delivery company is professional, and handles appointments very well, and they usually don't tax or charge shipping, unless you live in Washington or New York. So, yeah, give them a try.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why did they scare you? Their prices were like $1,000 less than other stores...I am having a hard time believing it is legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst /forum/post/14288679

Use forum sponsors. Check BBB. Check online reseller ratings. Zoomania scared me.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks /forum/post/14288968

Why did they scare you? Their prices were like $1,000 less than other stores...I am having a hard time believing it is legit.

Too many negative reviews of the merchant on price grabber.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks /forum/post/14288968

This company has way too many Very Dissatisfied customer reviews. If a price looks too good to be true, then that's a big red flag to avoid that store. No way would i do business with this vendor.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Zoommania

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks /forum/post/14288306

1. will brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, price match websites?

Generally, no. They might price-match a website of a big chain, but not the kind of place you linked to.

Quote:
2. Does anyone know anything about this store:
http://www.zoommania.com/descript.asp?prodid=TH50PZ85U

No, but it doesn't look good on RR:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Zoommania

Quote:
3. How do you check the reputation of an online store?

You can try searching for the name of the store on a search engine, along with terms like "complaints" or "reputation".

You can see if there have been complaints filed against them with the Better Business Bureau, AG's office in their state, etc.

ResellerRatings (see link above) is a website pretty much just for this purpose. Other sites (like CNet and PriceGrabber) also sometimes include store rating information. One issue with sites like these is that lately, really shady stores have taken to posting fake positive reviews every now and then so they don't look so bad. Try to actually read the reviews -- if all the positive ones are vague or oddly written, and there are lots of detailed horror stories with negative reviews, that's a very bad sign.

Based on the reviews at RR, I can pretty much guarantee that they will not actually sell you the TV at their advertised price. They will try to bait-and-switch you to one of the much more expensive "packages" listed on that page, or stall for months, claiming that the item is suddenly out of stock. This is blatantly illegal, of course, but often difficult to prove.

In general, if you see an online seller that is selling an electronics item for WAY less than what other online sites have it for, that deal and/or seller is probably no good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts