AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice/help on this question.

I have a seven year old (moderately used) flagship Kenwood Soverign 5900 receiver that I love to death, but I am wondering if I am missing out on not having a newer receiver that decodes True HD and the other codes currently on BluRay. The receiver has served me in an outstanding capacity and has been well worth the EXTREMELY high price I paid , being THX Ultra, DD and DTS...but I must admit that I am very curious about the new technology and how much, if anything I am missing. The HDMI switching would be nice, but the 3D capability isn't really any incentive to me and I don't intend on ever going from the 5.1 - 7.1...mostly curious about the sound.

I am running all Infinty Kappa speakers and also a upper tier Velodyne sub

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
For what you are using as far as the sound goes you may or may not hear a major difference. The biggest pluses would be the HDMI connectivity and depending on which AVR you decide to get the room EQ system that comes with it. That would be the biggest difference maker IMO. As for the difference between the newer codecs as opposed to what you have now you may not notice that big of a difference. And DO NOT buy one for its video capabilities. SD will always be SD and no AVR is going to make a difference to warrant the cost.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmc /forum/post/19539472

Buying a Bluray player with multi-channel analog outputs would let you get the full sound with your current system (assuming it has multi-channel analog inputs).

That is correct. The only down side would be the loss of a room EQ program which would be the biggest difference maker IMO.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I upgraded from a Kenwood 2080 and it was a major upgrade. The sound improvement came from better Dolby digital processing--the difference was night and day. For dts vs dts-ma the difference is almost undetectable. I was forced into an upgrade when I switched from a tv to a ceiling mounted projector. So, if you can use your display for video switching and you have a good remote to program the input selection changes, I would say you will have to weigh the need for the other features. For me, network connectivity of the avr is almost worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I were to decide to scrap the Soverign 5900...I was looking at a Marantz SR7005. Have been doing some reading and that one comes up quite a bit as a highly capable and fine piece of equipment.

Reading your comments though, being that I don't ABSOLUTELY need the HDMI switching since my Samsung 52in LCD has four inputs, I am leaning towards NOT replacing it. Do any of you know the Soverign 5900? I think it is the best A/V receiver I have seen, but, I am not an expert or as highly educated as you all.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19539404

For what you are using as far as the sound goes you may or may not hear a major difference. The biggest pluses would be the HDMI connectivity and depending on which AVR you decide to get the room EQ system that comes with it. That would be the biggest difference maker IMO. As for the difference between the newer codecs as opposed to what you have now you may not notice that big of a difference. And DO NOT buy one for its video capabilities. SD will always be SD and no AVR is going to make a difference to warrant the cost.

+1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19539555

That is correct. The only down side would be the loss of a room EQ program which would be the biggest difference maker IMO.

+1 (again)... the room eq would be the greatest "sound quality" benefit (possibly the only "sound quality" benefit)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae44 /forum/post/19541185

If I were to decide to scrap the Soverign 5900...I was looking at a Marantz SR7005. Have been doing some reading and that one comes up quite a bit as a highly capable and fine piece of equipment.

Reading your comments though, being that I don't ABSOLUTELY need the HDMI switching since my Samsung 52in LCD has four inputs, I am leaning towards NOT replacing it. Do any of you know the Soverign 5900? I think it is the best A/V receiver I have seen, but, I am not an expert or as highly educated as you all.

i have the "brother" of the sr7005, the av7005, and in a week or so of ownership, am happy with it... how long that lasts remains to be seen, but there is nothing inherently "wrong" with the unit, and i haven't come across any quirks yet (and i've exercised all of the options pretty well)...

the sovereign was a nice unit in it's day, not the "best", but certainly not the "worst"... the key words there being "in it's day"...

technology has advanced a long way since that avr was introduced... with the possible exception of the amplification section, any "modern" $500 avr will be better than the sovereign for digital sources, and will likely be transparent on analog ones as well (despite the hemming and hawing that goes on in some threads)...

ymmv, imo, etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.