AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im new to nice home theater stuff. I have been doing a bit of research. As of now i have no budget just because i haven't created one.

My ideal setup would consist of a 5.1 setup. I would like a a quality set of front speakers, the surrounds aren't as important to me. I have thought about buying a sub driver and building my own box and getting and amp but as of now i am thinking of going for a powered sub (i would love to have a sunfire sub). Then i would like a 5.1 amp and a pre amp. I am willing to get used or new. used you can obviously get great stuff at cheaper prices especially with speakers since a quality set of speakers maintains its quality sound throughout the years. my first goal are speakers.

Used or new it doesnt matter. im mainly wondering what are some good brands. There are so many and so many great speakers but for me im looking for the best bang for my buck. I would say my price point for two front speakers and a center is definitely under 1k. Right now im thinking bookshelf speakers as opposed to floor ones. It doesnt seem like floor ones are That much better than bookshelf when they are around the same price. Plus im guessing a decent size bookshelf set is more than loud enough with a good AVR or AMP. Again used or new doesnt matter. any ideas for good models good brands?

ive heard good things about the Polk Audio RTi A1 Loudspeakers, also the PSB Alpha B1 Loudspeakers, Totem Dream catchers, Ascents.

Im thinking if i bought a brand new set of bookshelf speakers not including the center i wouldnt spend more than 500. And i there is the possibility of getting ones worth more than that for under 500 used.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'd add Paradigm to the list - though Totems are nice too and so are the PSB's.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i forgot about paradigm. any specific new or old models that you know off the top of your mind that are quality?

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 /forum/post/18296863

yeah i forgot about paradigm. any specific new or old models that you know off the top of your mind that are quality?

Speakers are all relative... i don't like forward/bright/harsh sounding speakers others do. What i like in speakers others don't ... you should really think about what kind of sound you like from speakers.

Totems are a bit on warm side... psb's tend to be neutral... paradigm i had an opportunity to hear their new towers and they are fantastic... a bit on warm side again. Polk from what i have heard on bookshelf and one tower model tend to be a bit bright...

Also amp/receiver would play a big role in how you want the sound produced.

I would suggest if purely for ht... onkyo psb combo would be good with a good sub... but then again you should give it a listen to see if its acceptable.

Lot many people buy "sets" on recommendation of friends and or sales staff only to later find that they are very dissatisfied by the sound.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Go listen to the new Paradigm SE1's with the SE center. MSRP is $1100, but you should be able to get it for $900.

I demoed them last night and they really sound amazing for the money. Very smooth and transparent. If you get a good sub to fill out the bottom end they would make for a great front soundstage.

the SE1's sounded very similar to the Studio 10's. They use the same driver, there just put in a cheaper cabinet. They still look very nice though.

I really liked the studio 20's, and you could get them for $900 or less, but the center channel will be another $650, so you would have to save up more.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@porksoda your right man it is all relevant i will have to try to find a place round here that i can go to to listen to different speakers. Would you care to explain the difference between warm neutral and bright? I would assume that things such as being warm netural or bright can be fixed if disliked through settings on the AVR or Amp preamp.

@Santapimp27 are studio's made by paradigm?

Yeah ive been thinking of trying to get a sunfire subwoofer.

I do have itunes and enjoy listening to music, chances are however ill use it more for movies tv and gaming.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Santapimp27 do you know of any older paradigm speakers that are good or great? similar to the ones your listing?

·
Just add water and stir
1,648 Posts
I own the full Polk RTi line, with exception of bookshelfs, and I love them! They sound amazing. My brother has Studio 60's and I think they are different beasts but, I prefer mine over his Paradigm. Much warmer and richer. I can relax deeper into movie watching! And when needed BAM!! They floor you!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its all relative really. What maybe clean and smooth to you may not be that to someone else.

I've had Polks, Definitives, Klipsch and B&W. They are all good in their own way.

You have to audition and get what you like.

I currently own Paradigms Studios and I simply love them. To me, they are what I had always been looking for. They bring a smile to my face every single time.

It might take a while for you to find what you truly like but thats the fun part.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well everyone wants clean and smooth when i said clean and smooth i meant low linear and non linear distortion.

what do you love about your studios?

im new to nicer home theater stuff and dont have an insanely high budget so im trying to figure out what would be good right now

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 /forum/post/18297867

well everyone wants clean and smooth when i said clean and smooth i meant low linear and non linear distortion.

what do you love about your studios?

im new to nicer home theater stuff and dont have an insanely high budget so im trying to figure out what would be good right now

yes, the studio's are made by Paradigm as well. Find a dealer by you and have a listen. If its your first system im sure the Special Edition (SE) series will blow you away. They use the same driver as the more expensive Studio series, but they use a cheaper cabinet to keep the price down. they sound fantastic for the money. You will easily be able to get the setup for under $1000. And at that price point, i think its nearly impossible to beat.

Paradigms are very smooth and clean. If you havent heard a decent pair of speakers before you really need to go audition. Listen to the Paradigm Atoms and Mini-monitors as well. For all i know, those will blow you away and you can save some money.

I own Klipsch speakers as well as Paradigm, and the Paradigm's sound better to me. The Klipsch are very good, i just prefer Paradigm. Klipsch and Polk are similar sounding. They are both on the bright side and some feel they are fatiguing to listen to for a long time. I myself never had this problem.

Bottom line, go out there and listen. Each speaker has its own signature sound. Make sure you listen to some Paradigm and B&W as this will give you a better feel as to which sound you prefer more. Then come back here and you can get some more opinions on other speakers that sound similar.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You may want to check out Axioms as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Paradigm Studios are , to my ear, very clean and smooth.

But its not just the speaker itself that creates that effect. The receiver or amp also plays a big role.

When I had my Klipsch setup (Reference Series), at first they sounded bright and I could not listen to them for long. I got a Pioneer Elite receiver and it smoothed them out.

When I had my definitive technology mythos, the rotel amp made my ears bleed. I got a B&K amp and it was as if I was listening to completely different speakers.

With my Paradigm Studios, I am using a McIntosh amp so that also adds to the character of the sound.

BUT I have been playing with sound systems and home theater for over a decade and so what I have now is not my first system.

I would recommend you go visit stores and listen to whats out there in your budget. Learn as you go. This forum is a great resource.

This is a great hobby but unfortunately it takes time and money

·
Registered
872 Posts
1 - 20 of 157 Posts