AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-mas cash is coming. Should I update my E20 to an HS2? Or just add a ReplayTV or Tivo?

I like ReplayTV cause it's networkable, Tivo because it records recommendations, and HS2 cause it's all-in-one.

Any advice either way?

Thanks,

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi Amoeba man, long time no read,

Directv is offering a great deal until the end of the month; you can purchase the Directv/Tivo combo unit for 199.00 (full installation is another 50.00 if you need it). Call 1-877-453-1431 and use code: dvro

This is a Sony unit, and it works fantastic. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

Then for your birthday:

The HS2 is a really boss unit that I grow to love even more with each passing day. And there is no doubt that the HS2 and the Tivo unit is a marriage made in heaven. Tivo records with no loss (bitstream), and the HS2's HDD handles the editing, which then enables you to dump the finished product to one of your famous "found-the right-price" DVD-Rs. :D

Merry Christmas!

Peter M

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videonut

Directv is offering a great deal until the end of the month; you can purchase the Directv/Tivo combo unit for 199.00 (full installation is another 50.00 if you need it). Call 1-877-453-1431 and use code: dvro

This is a Sony unit, and it works fantastic. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!
I'm not likely to actually do this, but I'm curious. (esp since I have over $200 in Sony points on my credit card.. though I don't know if I could actually take advantage of this..)

This is still the Series 1 unit, right? Sony has made no announcement of a Series 2 DirecTV/Tivo combo unit, right??

Though I don't even OWN an HS2 yet, I agree with your other sentiment -- I think both a PVR and a DVD recorder are useful.. and another of my uses of an HS2 (or possibly Toshiba one) would be as another recorder to record conflicts so I don't have to deal with videotape.. (and recording stuff "for keeps" to burn to DVD of course).

·
Registered
125 Posts
As someone who owns both a DVD Recorder and a Tivo, I'd say buy the Tivo first, just because its the most versatile and useful of the items you mentioned. Its absolutely the best purchase I ever made, bar none. That assertion aside, you'd be better off getting Tivo now because its a more mature technology and its had a couple of years for the prices to get a lot more reasonable (14 hour units were once over $1,000, when I bought my first 30 hour 2 1/2 years ago it was about $500-600, now you can get an 80 hour Series2 unit for less than what I paid for my first unit).

It'll take a while before DVD Recorder prices become more reasonable like that...wait until you can get more bang for your buck, and in the meantime, you will have TIVO!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sound advice IMHO.

If there was such a thing as TIVO down under I would be lining up for one.

For me at least the HS2 gives a taste of what TIVO can do but if I had the choice I would say wait a while as far as DVD recording because as good as the HS2 is, it has it's faults and their will be cheaper models with better features already complete on the Panasonic (and other) drawing boards...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.