AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm definitely a newbie and am looking for expert advice as I put together my home theater. I just ordered the InFocus 5700 ScreenPlay for my video. Now I am looking for advice on a receiver.

My installation guy is recommending the Titan Paradigm speakers (and all the reviews seem very good on those). He is also recommending the Sony STRDA1ES as the receiver. One of my buddies at work is telling me that the Pioneer VSX-D912K is better. They're both about at the same price point (~$300).

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
147 Posts
why not go for the entry model in the pioneer elite series,

i think the elite series has better internal components, i think it's the 35 tx model

only a few bucks more

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Tell you what. I was a Pioneer dealer till pioneer pulled the line from my rep so now Im ding JVC.

Im so glad I picked up JVC because there AV receivers are much better then any pioneer receiver I sold in the VSX line. I didnt carry the elite series but Im not that impressed with eleite to begin with.

If your interested in some JVC receivers I would say look into the 7030VBK. Its got tripple power supplies and full s video and component video switching capable of HDTV bandwidth.

They also have acomplete line of THX approved receivers that are very high end and powerfull as well!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by easy9
why not go for the entry model in the pioneer elite series,

i think the elite series has better internal components, i think it's the 35 tx model

only a few bucks more
Because, it's been proven that the bottom "Elite" receiver from last year (Model - 41) was nearly the same as the 811 -- which was $200 less in price. If you're looking for the Elite series, look at the 43, 45 (from last year) or the 53, 55 from this year. They are the 2nd and 3rd "Elite" receivers when looking up from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I have heard great things about the sony but myself am not a sony fan when it comes to there receivers. Both recievers have pre-outs in case you want to add an external amp.

The pioneer has the Auto setup feature which is a bonus for many.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Folks,

Do a search on this forum "pioneer 912' and there are some threads on this receiver. There was also a large thread back in the spring that I was able to access, but I do not remember the search criteria. As stated above, 'Pioneer 912' shows some results, while Pioneer VSX D912 does not. Maybe a dash in-between the X and D was it. Not sure.

Frank

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I looked at the Pioneer was about to buy then I saw, heard, and bought a Kenwood VR-7070 instead in about the same price range. The Kenwood has a better amplification section, and looks to be generally better build quality. Also is THX certified for all that is or isn't worth. Not a Sony fan myself, so I won't comment.

I think the Kenwood was a well spent $350.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.