AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more comfortable choosing a DVD Player, but I’d still like as much input as possible. I have $1000.00 dollars to spend (including tax and/or shipping charges) and I’d like to get the best components that that money can buy. Although there are some features that I would really like (i.e. Firewire/DVI), in terms of the two components you’re basically starting with a blank slate.

Here’s what I have for you to work with:

DISPLAY:

Sony KV34HS510

SPEAKERS:

Loudspeakers – (2) Paradigm Monitor 11

Surrounds – (2) Paradigm ADP-370

Center Channel – (1) Paradigm CC-370

Subwoofer – (1) Paradigm PDR-12

Components:

HDTV Receiver - Samsung SIR-T165

Please don’t limit your recommendations based on only the MSRP of the components; If you know of some great deals from online retailers or EBay or retail locations that might be willing to negotiate a good deal, include those as well. I want the best that I can afford!

Gentlemen, start your engines!!!

P.S. I could probably afford to spend an extra $150 on cables and such, but nothing beyond that.

Thanks,

HT_Phreak

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys, I desperately need your help since I know little about what to look for in an AV Receiver. I’m a bit more comfortable choosing a DVD Player, but I’d still like as much input as possible. I have $1000.00 dollars to spend (including tax and/or shipping charges) and I’d like to get the best components that that money can buy. Although there are some features that I would really like (i.e. Firewire/DVI), in terms of the two components you’re basically starting with a blank slate.

Here’s what I have for you to work with:

DISPLAY:

Sony KV34HS510

SPEAKERS:

Loudspeakers – (2) Paradigm Monitor 11

Surrounds – (2) Paradigm ADP-370

Center Channel – (1) Paradigm CC-370

Subwoofer – (1) Paradigm PDR-12

Components:

HDTV Receiver - Samsung SIR-T165

Please don’t limit your recommendations based on only the MSRP of the components; If you know of some great deals from online retailers or EBay or retail locations that might be willing to negotiate a good deal, include those as well. I want the best that I can afford!

Gentlemen, start your engines!!!

P.S. I could probably afford to spend an extra $150 on cables and such, but nothing beyond that.

Thanks,

HT_Phreak

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
HT_Phreak,

I think you should look for a good receiver having lots of features, including the very recent DPLIIx. According to your budget, IMO the Yamaha 1400 is currently the best bang for the buck receiver within your price range.

Regarding DVD players, you may take a look at the Denon 2200 multiformat, progressive scan player (DVD-A, SACD, etc). I myself have a new Denon 2900 which is really great, but its little brother is more affordable and still a very good option.

I have also read many good things about the Pioneer 53A. It seems it is a real bargain and also a multiformat player.

I don´t know how much are these equipment together, but I think you can do it with $ 1,000. Use the search function for more detailed info! ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JorgeLopez11,

Thanks for the input. I'm taking a look at the components you mentioned. I really want to try to make sure that I do as much as possible to future-proof my purchase which is why I was hoping to get something with DVI or maybe Firewire IO. Also, a company called V Inc has a $249.00 Bravo D2 DVD player with DVI out. I've heard great things about DVI out so the D2 is attractive. I mean, what the heck is the difference really going to be between a $2500 player and a $250 player? It's mind boggling! Although I left it out of the original post, I'd love to have a player that plays mp3s and ideaaly jpegs. I know that's asking a lot from one player, but I was hoping to avoid having to buy some sort of media server later on.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I have the D1, the picture quality is excellent with DVI, I haven't seen it via other outputs but I've heard it's not very good. I've also only used the digital audio output and that works great. The D1 does play mpeg. It's good for the money - with limitations. I have the Denon 3800 as well hooked up with component and I can't tell the difference in picture or sound quality (Digital) vs the D1. DVD Audio is an awsome format, I guess it's similar to SACD, which I've never heard. That's something you'd miss out on the D1.

I agree on the Yamaha as well, check out the 2400 if the D1 allows you enough budget room.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I picked up a Yamaha 2400 only a couple of months ago. It was that model or a Denon 3803. They're both around $1K list but you may be able to find them for a few hundred less on the net or as an open box at a retailer. There are both supposed to be very good mid-level performers. However, the 2400's auto setup & equalization features sold me on that model.

The 2400 has been a surprisingly good upgrade from our decent, 2y old, low-end Pioneer amp. I did expect some improvement but I was truly impressed by how much better the 2400 sounded. The back channels really came alive. Maybe it was better/cleaner power to them or it could have been the 2400's auto-equalization. I also sense improved imaging from our mains. On top of that, the 2400's universal, programmable remote is excellent. I strongly recommend this fine receiver.

We just have an entry-level Sony progressive DVD player and it's fine us now. The progressive picture on the better DVDs comes very close to HD. From comments on this website, a DVI connection is an incremental improvement on something that is already pretty good. Once there's DVI-connecting, SACD-playing, progressive players in the $300 range, then I'll upgrade. Then again, HD DVD is due out in only 2 years...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi HT_Phreak,

DVI and firewire are both features difficult to find in medium to low price range receivers. For the time being, may be it is better to have SACD and DVD-A playing capabilities in a DVD player while firewire is widely implemented in other than flagship receivers.

Just see what happened to Denon 5900 and the frustrating i-link connection it carries on board.

Anyway, I have not seen the Bravo player, so I can not comment anything about it.

Finally, I agree with other people around here. If you can get the Yamaha 2400 and still buy your Bravo.....sweat deal :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Look at the Yamaha RXV-1400 or 2400 and for a DVD/CD player check out the Pioneer 563A, it does prog. scan DVD as well as SACD and DVD-A. All of the above recommendations are excellent values.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been reading about the AV Receivers and DVD players that were mentioned and a few definitely stood out. In particular I like the automatic setup feature found on the Denon AVR-2803, the Yamaha RX-V1400 (the 2400 is a bit too expensive for my blood), and the Pioneer VSX-D912K. The Denon and Yamaha can each be had for about five and a half bills from online retailers and the pioneer can be had for a little over three bills. Like I said, the automatic setup feature is what I really like about these three. I would definitely appreciate some advice on which one of these would serve me best for the forseeable future. The one knock against the pioneer is that it apparently can't wide bandwith (HDTV) component video switching... That would definitely be a deal breaker. Other than that, Any input you guys could provide would be awesome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
HT_Phreak,

Be warned that the 2803 receiver does not have an automatic setup feature. In your list, only the Yamaha 1400 (YPAO) and the Pioneer VSX-912 (MCAAC) have a real setup feature.

May be you are referring to the 2803's autosurround feature, which is intended to automatically recognize the input signal coming from any source (analog, bitstream or LPCM).

·
Registered
6 Posts
The following would cost 1000:

For a receiver I would start with the Harmon Kardon avr230 for the following reasons:

-seperate crossovers for each L/R, Center and RR/RL

-7.1 input and 7.1 pre output allow a flexible upgrade path

-all the latest standards supported

-amazing price

-hdtv capable switching

-very musical

-least expensive reciever with flexible bass management (very important) and good pre in / pre out option

Then I would purchase the pioneer dv-563A for the following reasons

-sacd

-dvd audio

-progressive scan

-very musical

-great price

With the leftover money I would purchase 2 Outlaw 200watt mono block amplifiers. Ideally I'd go with 3 monoblocks but that would be over your budget.

This will be an incredible starter system with impressive 2 channel and HT capabilities, great bass managemetn, format support and it will set you down the path of high end seperates using an incremental approach.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At this price level and actually, many multiples of it you're not going to get better calibration that with a sound meter, tape measure and some test tones (either on a disc or from a computer).

Don't think you'll be getting auto EQ calibration either, you won't get it in these models and in the models that do offer it you'd be better off with a cheap two multiband channel parametric EQ. EQ of high frequencies is pointless due to their small wavelengths, it only makes sense with lower frequencies and even then room nodes are unavoidable. Also remeber EQ is done for a given seating position.

If you are interested in EQ and want to improve the sound of your room then take some of your budget and put it toward some cheap room acoustic (wooden frame + pleasing fabric + foam or fiberglass) and a berhinger parametric EQ to flatten out your bottom end.

Remeber good sound will be from the ballance of many components and you should be encouraged that with $1000 and the components you already have you can do a LOT to create greate sound.

Finally acoustical panels can be very attractive, nice fabric framed in real wood, stained to your liking can look amazing.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I believe the Yamaha 1400 has automatic seven channel, seven band PARAMETRIC equalization. Whereas the Pioneer has only graphic equalization. I'm not sure about the Denon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pioneer Elite utilizes auto-EQ during it's auto calibration the 912 officially does not have equalization, maybe there is some hidden menu to access it, if you show me a screen shot then I'll believe you, until than no EQ.

WRT the yamaha what they call a parametric EQ is not really a parametric EQ due to hard coded center Fc and Q.

I'm not sure where they hardcoded center frequencies but I would imagine a 1/3 octave spread, so basically you're looking at a standard eq which wouldn't be of any use IMO.

Your paradigms all have fairly flat curves so it's not like you need to be EQing your equipment, its all about the room. Parametric EQ is good up to 150Hz (just look at Rotels and Lexicons - they do NOT do midbass or treble EQ, why cause its a waste due to the wavelength).

Secondly to do proper EQ of your bass you need at least a 5-10 band parametric eq with fully adjustable Fc, Q and boost/gain. not one or two bands that are fixed.

meter + tape measure, + diy acoustical panels + cheap pro - perametric EQ = big improvement to one of the most important components you have: your room.

Go into a empty room and clap: you'll hear awefull sounding reverberations and echos. Now go out doors and clap. Huge difference. EQ cannot fix this problem only acoustical treatment. Best thing is its cheap and effective for those who try it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yamaha rx-v1400 and a pioneer elite dv45a if you can find one

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.