AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I had a Pentium 233 hooked to my big screen TV several years back, and decided to get a standalone DVD player instead so I removed it. Unlike most of you, I'm not fortunate enough to have an HDTV, so I ran the setup though the S-Video inputs. Yes, the resolution wasn't great, but it sufficed for games. I used an ATI TV wonder card with an S-Video out for the PC. I also had a Creative DXR2 decoder hardware card for DVD output, and I thought it looked pretty good, considering my setup.

Well, now I want to hook a PC back up to the big screen again. I have the parts to build a PIII/Celeron-based system, and only need to select a case and video card. I don't think I'll be getting an HD set anytime soon, so I'm looking for a card with a good-looking S-Video output that I can use for PC game playing, word processing, and Web surfing. I'll be viewing DVDs through a Creative DXR3 card.

Which would be best for this use, a GeForce or an ATI-based solution?

· Registered
1,460 Posts
PC game playing - GeForce. I would doubt you will see much of a differance through S-Video on a normal TV and you will hate the (lack of) performance with the lower ATI cards. I think the performance of a GF4 will best that of the ATI 8500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.