AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through the threads about their similarities and small differences. I can get the Denon 790 for $100 less than the 1910. Is it worth spending the extra $100 for the 1910? User opinions will be helpful. My current system is:

A non-HDMI Yamaha reciever

Mirage Omni 7.1 system

Samsung 40" LCD HDTV

Thanks!

Q. What is the difference between the three-digit models (e.g. AVR 790) and the four-digit models (e.g. AVR 1910)?

A: Essentially, NOTHING. Denon puts out two parallel receiver lineups, with four-digit and three-digit model numbers. The four-digit models are generally sold by high end stereo shops and custom installers, and the three-digit models are the "consumer" version sold in retail outlets like Circuit City and Fry's.

However, there is ZERO difference in terms of power, specs, sound quality, build quality, etc. between the two lines. Denon has been doing this for years, it is exactly analagous to the Yamaha HTR and RX-V parallel receiver lines.

There will usually be one or two minor differences to differentiate the three-digit and four-digit models. There is typically a slight cosmetic difference between the two lines, and different remotes.

In the specific case of the 1910 vs. 790, the only differences (besides the cosmetics) is:

1. the 1910 has A/B speaker switching, whereas the 790 only has "A" front speakers

2. the 1910 adds a "room to room" remote control jack for wired control from Zone 2

In all other respects, the 1910 and 790 are IDENTICAL.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi /forum/post/18142612

In the specific case of the 1910 vs. 790, the only differences (besides the cosmetics) is:

1. the 1910 has A/B speaker switching, whereas the 790 only has "A" front speakers

2. the 1910 adds a "room to room" remote control jack for wired control from Zone 2

In all other respects, the 1910 and 790 are IDENTICAL.

Unless you plan on utilizing these 2 options, I would stick with the 790. I have a 789 & no one has ever said their 1909 was better or the 789 was worse. They are the same where it counts, the specs. And I am not disappointed with my 789. I actually REALLY like this thing.

What are the cosmetic differences? They look identical to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/18143154

Unless you plan on utilizing these 2 options, I would stick with the 790. I have a 789 & no one has ever said their 1909 was better or the 789 was worse. They are the same where it counts, the specs. And I am not disappointed with my 789. I actually REALLY like this thing.

OK, thanks. I really appreciate your advice and I can use that extra $100 on something else.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/18142911

I would spend the extra and get the 1910 what a $100 dollars it not like $500 dollars, The 1910 will be build better from circuits boards to PSU go with the better one.

As Splicer010 suggested, better to go with the 790 if the additional features offered by the 1910 aren't needed. They are both mfr'd in China and have the same audio components as well as the same audio capability. The OP is much better off using the $100 in savings on upgrading or buying additional speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/18143154

Not much really ... the Quick Select buttons are different and the 790 front panel is plastic (or has a shiny plastic look) while the 1910 looks (or is) metallic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I actually bought a brand new, sealed 1910 today from a reputable vendor on eBay for $425.00 shipped. When I searched for prices, I had found the 790 for $364 but the vendor was going to tack on $36 for shipping and that brought the price up to $400, so I decided to go with the 1910 for just a little more. It was shipped today. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.