AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older rack of audio and video equipment got ruined due to a plumbing leak and I'm filing an insurance claim. Problem is there really isn't anything equivalent out there now.

It's Sony based system from the late 80's and 90's. The turntable PS-FL 7II and the Tape deck Tc-R503 are all remote controlled by the receiver the St-AV 560. There is also a Pioneer Laser Disk player and an original Tivo.

The Tivo and receiver are easy, just price out a current model. But my agent said to find equivalent stuff for the rest. I do have a lot of albums, not that I play them often and a number of cassettes, but I'm not finding much in the way of turntables or cassette decks and it's been a while since I've been in the market for either as what I had met my needs. I looked at Best Buy out of curiosity and only saw cheap USB turntables.

What is currently out there for quality Turntable and tape decks?

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
We should all have this problem. Insurance money for the stuff we no longer use and can't sell.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, keep 'em coming!

While I do not use this system all the time, it does get use. This is a finished basement and it was the site of my earlier home theater incarnations. Had lots of movie nights down there over the years, but now I use my main floor family room as my HT. We use this space for family gatherings and ship the kids down there. I looked online and the tape deck I have had a MSRP of $500, I know a paid a lot for it, just don't remember that much. I haven't been able to find a MSRP on the turntable though. I think I paid in the mid $300 for the LD player, the insurance co. might balk at $900.

I have mixed feelings on this whole experience, I really liked my setup, I knew it and it did what I wanted. It was my first real HT setup and I carefully selected each piece. Previously I had a classic 70's JVC CD-4 setup down there. I liked being able to control the turntable from my chair as well as the tape deck. I was eager to build my current HT and knew what I wanted. Maybe if I have a $$ figure to work with I'll get more enthusiastic.

·
Registered
10,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/15510149

Previously I had a classic 70's JVC CD-4 setup down there.

Another quaddie! I have Sansui's last QS variomatrix receiver for QS/CD4 & an Audionics super SQ decoder. Occasionally I still dust off a quad LP or synth quad from stereo

I've been spoiled by the dead silence on SACD's & DVD-A's, and noisy CD4 LP's usually annoy me now.

ss9001

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another thing to consider is do you have 'replacement' insurance. For example, if I have a 50" LCD TV that I bought 2 years ago - that is longer made, my insurance pays the amount of a compariable model currently on the market rather than the value of it based on age. Do you know what you have insurance wise?

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I have replacement value, I'll find out more next week when the adjuster comes out. My agent told me to find comparable stuff as replacements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts