AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bulb on my Sanyo PLV-Z5 needs to be replaced so I was thinking it would be a good time to upgrade. I have a light controlled room with a 92" screen that is approx. 16' from the projector. I don't want to invest a lot of money as I like to upgrade every few years and 3D isn't a requirement at this time.

Having said that, I was thinking of picking up an Epson 8350 as I know I can get it for just under $1,000 and I'm happy with LCD technology. On that note, I'm wondering if the price will drop further with the 3010 announcement and if that is the best choice in that price range.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HC4000 is not an option because of distance from screen and that seems to be the top contender to the Epson in that range.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the 8350 this week for $999 given that the 3010 is $1599 and I don't require 3D.

Having said that, is $1599 the MAP for the 3010 or will it sell for less? Will the 8350 go below $999 now that the 3100 has been announced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm reading the manual correctly, it also looks like the Optoma HD33 isn't an option either because of positioning.

Am I really limited to the Epson 8350 or 3010? Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/20934631

Is your projector ceiling mounted at the back of the room?

Is that why it has to be 16 feet back?

Yes, it's ceiling mounted at the back of the room where all the cables and power are located.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
You know you can get some decent screens fairly cheap or even do a DIY screen and just make the screen bigger, that would open up more options for you.

The Mits hc4000 coming from the Sanyo z5 will be a HUGE upgrade, but so will the Epson 8350. Honestly, they both will appear to be a big upgrade from the Sanyo, but the Mits hc4000 is the better of the two. I know about the Sanyo z5 because I have one, and I also had the Mits hc4000 and some Epsons.

92" is kind of a small screen for that far back, but other than that, pretty much the 8350 is the only decent option under $1200 for an LCD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/20936348

You know you can get some decent screens fairly cheap or even do a DIY screen and just make the screen bigger, that would open up more options for you.

The Mits hc4000 coming from the Sanyo z5 will be a HUGE upgrade, but so will the Epson 8350. Honestly, they both will appear to be a big upgrade from the Sanyo, but the Mits hc4000 is the better of the two. I know about the Sanyo z5 because I have one, and I also had the Mits hc4000 and some Epsons.

92" is kind of a small screen for that far back, but other than that, pretty much the 8350 is the only decent option under $1200 for an LCD.

I regret building the draper screen into the ceiling as now I'm stuck with that size unless I want to do a fair bit of work. Perhaps I could figure out how to mount a manual screen inside the draper box. The other option would be to see if I could move the projector forward approx. 2.5' which I think would allow me to buy the hc4000.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Or you could get something like W6000 with lens shift?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is that my usage is probably the following:

- 40% sports

- 30% Mac Mini movies

- 25% HD shows and movies

- 5% Blu ray player

Given the above, I also need a projector that works well with a Mac Mini and Plex.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.