AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up the new entertainment center PC now. I've installed WinXP, and have been tweaking it. Now, the mobo I have (Gigabyte) has on-board analog software audio, and I purchased a Revo card for this box.

The Revo card has no on-board connectors for CD-Audio or any aux audio ins (inside the PC, that is). I'm planning on installing a Creative DXR3 for DVD picture decoding to use with my non-HD rear projection set. It has audio pass-throughs that would normally connect to analog CD/DVD drive outputs.

At some time I plan on installing a videoconferencing card (Zydacron Z340) to experiment with video calls from my living room. This card depends on analog audio connections (aux in/out, mike in) on a soundcard.

My questions are:

1) Will the Revo play standard audio CD data without the analog audio cable connected? Will this appear on the S/PDIF out connector?

2) Would I really need to pass audio through the DXR3?

3) Would it hurt anything to enable the on-board audio to allow use with the Zydacron?

Many thanks in advance...I know you forum members have all the answers. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
1) playing CD through internal analog drive->soundcard is completely out of game, since there are used DACs in the CD drive instead of Revo's high grade ones.. rip the CD to HDD and than play, or use such plugin for winamp or foobar2000 to play CDs through IDE

2) I think no, but why are you thinking of buying Dxr3? this stuff is outdated since it carry only MPEG2 decoding, not MPEG4 for DivX/XviD - it is the same card as Sigmadesigns RealMagic Hollywood+, but SigmaDesigns do have a newer card with support for both MPEG2/4 now, why not to buy one :)

3) dunno what is Zydacron ???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Gls
1) playing CD through internal analog drive->soundcard is completely out of game, since there are used DACs in the CD drive instead of Revo's high grade ones.. rip the CD to HDD and than play, or use such plugin for winamp or foobar2000 to play CDs through IDE

2) I think no, but why are you thinking of buying Dxr3? this stuff is outdated since it carry only MPEG2 decoding, not MPEG4 for DivX/XviD - it is the same card as Sigmadesigns RealMagic Hollywood+, but SigmaDesigns do have a newer card with support for both MPEG2/4 now, why not to buy one :)

3) dunno what is Zydacron ???
Well, I'm not going to rip every CD before I play it. If I can, I'll just use Winamp/WMP for playing CDs then.

I already have a DXR3, that's why I want to use it. It already has an S-Video output that will carry just the DVD pic's output, nothing from the PC side. The card I'm currently using (based on Riva TNT2) has an S-Video out--but the card won't do a dualhead function. I imagine, if I wanted to use one card to do both PC output and simultaneous movie video out, I'd have to buy a different, dualhead video card and my budget won't bear that right now.

Zydacron is a dedicated videoconferencing card. See http://www.scotty.at/cms/cms.php?pageId=60 .

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Winamp 2.9's built-in CD Audio plugin now support digital audio extraction, so there's no need for analog connections between the DVD drive and the soundcard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.