AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks for any advice FP users have to offer. I'm returning an RCA F38310 DV to CC after a year of bad problems with the unit. CC is offering me exchange value for the set equal to what I paid (though I'm not sure if they're going to limit it to a new TV or to any product in their line up).

So, I've limited my selection from CC down to the RP Hitachi 57S500, which looks like a fine enough product. Except that the more I look at an FP solution the more I like it. My biggest problems with the RPTV are losing over 2' of floor space to the unit, convergence maintenance, and finally the hassle of disposal some years in the future. An LCD FP unit is clearly superior in this regard. Obviously the CRT RPTV offers better image quality, better utility across a variety of lighting conditions, and is a more standard technology. Fine, except it's also a beast and I live in an apartment (1st floor) in a 2 fam that I own. Also, I really like the idea of having a theatrical experience in my LR instead of looking at a big box.

The room I plan on using is 10.5W' x 14.5L' I have two windows to the rear of the couch which face west and see sun only in the very late evening. A second loveseat is to the left arranged in a traditional L. Thus sitting at the primary couch is about 12 - 13' away from the viewing wall, or 10'-11' away from an RPTV box. I've got contractors working in the place right now and could get them to build an FP stand on the wall or ceiling. I already own a cambridge soundworks DD5.1 system which could handle audio, so I won't need speakers built into the set. And given the contractors and dust, I'm also not too keen on the idea of taking delivery on a big RPTV while I'm in the middle of a house renovation, which would require moving it around a few times, all the dust, etc.... But I could work around that.

OK, so that's the background and here are some options:

a) I'm into CC for almost $1400 in credit. I could buy a D*/OTA receiver and use the rest for something else (I hope) like a digital camera or whathaveyou and then go for a Sony HS10 on the open market (or wait for the HS20/AE500 and just live without TV for a bit). But this seams like a waste of CC credit and is expensive.

b) CC sells the Toshiba TLPTP50MU XGA projector for $1999. I'm thinking this isn't a good deal. Contrast of only 400:1, only XGA in comparison to WXGA, no DVI inputs, on and on. Just seems like a big step back for maximizing my CC credit.

c) I could bite the bullet and buy the Hitachi RPTV, warts and all. These LCD projectors have their own warts, so it's always a toss up. Though I really *like* the idea of FP for the theatrical experience of it. And I hardly ever watch TV during the day anyway.

These trade offs make for a hard decision. I don't like the loss of space or the heavy weight of an RPTV, but it does have good image quality. I *love* the idea of a dark room theatrical experience an FP would offer, plus I could up the screen size to 80" - 100" if I prefer - without spending more $$$.

Finally, DLP is out of the question. I saw an RP unit and simply couldn't stand the image. Colors burst right out and it looks beautiful, until my eyes start to hurt from eye strain. Forget it. LCDs may not have the best color contrast or black levels, but they also don't hurt my eyes.

Thanks for any advice and help the forum members may offer.

--Maynard

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hmmm...have any friends also in the market for an RPTV or some other high ticket electronics?? Maybe you could work out a deal where you could use your CC credit to buy for them, then get reimbursed in cash.

I don't think you're going to find anyone in this forum advocating the RPTV purchase. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.