Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Would appreciate some advice. I am currently considering a new TV for my bedroom. Currently have a 20" Toshiba flatscreen (component inputs) which I really like but would like to go a little bigger, 27" or 32".

In my room, I have Direct TV, DVD player, and a Replay TV system, but I do not have an elliptical dish nor do I really care to go through the process of upgrading. If I want a crisp picture, am I just as well off with a flat screen and not necessarily HD or will I notice a difference on HD even though I don't have immediate plans to buy a HD receiver, elliptical dishes et al?

I've been impressed with what I have read about Samsung and am debating between the Samsung 27" HDTV (I can buy the demo from BB for $680) and the Samsung 27" non HDTV with flat screen for $400.

I know its all subjective but I would appreciate comments

Dave

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Are you sure you want to stay the old format of Thomas Alva Edison 4:3? I suggest you go *look* at a 16 X 9, the 4:3 or 1.33:1 DVD view can't be compared with 16 X 9. 19 inch vertical in screen 33.75 inches in width line doubled wide screen IMO. I have a 1280 x 1080 or 1 Million 382 Thousand 400 (1,382,400) pixel display!

One of these days digital will here offically, and your $680 investment will have to upgrade to some type of set top box, for you just to watch TV in your analog view! Think about is is worth it to be cheap, for in the long run it will *cost* you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hob,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I know I will upgrade our main entertainment system eventually. I'm just not planning to spend a large chunk of money for another year or two.

As for this bedroom set, I dont want to spend an extra $280 on the 27" HDTV set unless there would be an appreciable difference in quality just running normal Direct TV for the time (next couple of years) being.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
If the return policy is good (i.e. giving you a chance to change your mind within a couple days, even on a demo unit), I would suggest getting the HDTV, bringing it home, hooking it up and taking a look at it. The quality of NTSC video is going to depend on the line doubler, and it's a subjective kind of thing (one major factor being how far away from the TV you typically view it). I can tell you that your DVDs should DEFINITELY look better on the HDTV since they are already encoded at a much higher quality than DirecTV/Dish and hence have negligible artifacting for the line doubler to magnify. If the artifacting is too much, then take the thing back and get the NTSC TV (and maybe a game console with a couple games). :)

-Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.