AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if anyone can gimme some advice.. i'm a bit torn. I'm gonna get my HD STB soon, but just trying to figure out which one to get. I'm trying to balance between getting the best set, but also saving $$$ ,don't we all know this feeling? Anyways, the Magnolia HI-FI store in my area, is offering a deal... 3LNB Dish and Hughes E86 STB for $499. And if you're a new Direct TV customer,, then u also get a $100 rebate. Unforunately, i already have DirecTV, so no rebate... but still at $499 for STB and dish.. its a pretty good deal. The other thing is, i don't really need the dish. Although I only have the 2 lnb elliptical dish, so i could swap the dish although it might be easier to buy the sat C kit and just intall it without having to take down the old dish. So i think i wanna get this, but then i hear that the Samsung T165 is the only unit that can output Svideo and component simultaneously allowing me to use my tivo without having to worry about switching it manually from SD to HD. So now i'm torn about getting the Samsung, which obviously i will have to pay more for. So do you all think i go for the deal? or pay the extra bucks for the convenience?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Read the threads...the Samsung sucks according to many users. Imagine paying more for something with "issues!" But it has the feature that you prefer. You have a dilemma on your hands. Good Luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jamson8

The e86 has its share of problems as well. Some units are better than others and you may be just fine with the e86 if you get a good one.

Here is a suggestion: You mentioned the convenience of the simul feeds. I would think this is a very important feature with your current setup (and probably to your wife/girlfriend). Assuming the Samsung is not local, order this and have it delivered.

In the mean time, search for both units here and make note of the problems that exist with both units.

Once you get the Samsung, try it out and see how it works. If you have issues, you could purchase the e86 locally and compare the two. Once you decide on the one you like, return the other. Just make sure you keep both units within the return policy and no contingencies exist (outside of maybe return shipping)

This may seem like a lot of shuffling but 500 bucks is 500 bucks and you want to get the most for what you pay for. And besides you will then know the answer to your question.

Judge with pros/cons in mind though, no stb is perfect (you will find out what I mean soon...) and if you like the svideo simul feature you should probably go with that first.

rbaldwin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was gonna get both units and try both, then return the one i didn't like, but Magnolia HIFI has some crappy return policy that says that if I open and break the seal on the STB, then I can't return it. I have no idea what kinda BS that is, but that's what I was told. So a tough decision it will be. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have them both. No contest; get the E-86. The only, and I mean only, thing the T-165 has is the firewire connection if you want to record.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Hey, look, the bottom line is none of these boxes is perfect. For the hefty price tags they should be, but we live in the real world now.

I've run through nearly the entire line in search of the perfect box and have yet to find it. The Panny, DST-3000, two Sony HD-200, Samsung-165, Zenith 420 - I've had them all and to be honest with you, the best of the bunch were the two older models (Panny, DST-3000) in terms of reliability. I loved the Sony and its features, but when two units break down, I pull the plug on purchasing any more. I hated the 165 in the short time I owned it, what a glitchy, imperfect thing.

I'm waiting delivery of the Zenith-520 sometime today or tomorrow as the quest continues. It's a crapshoot friend. Good luck!

·
Registered
645 Posts
One additional comment. Since you already have directTV, and already have your TiVo, you can just leave that hooked up and just use the HD STB for HD. When I switched to DirectTV I got one of those free installation deals that came with a STB (SD) and I hooked that up to the TiVo. Sure, it costs me a couple of extra bucks a month for the extra receiver but I don't have to worry whether or not the TiVo is recording something when I want to watch HiDef...

·
Registered
506 Posts
jamson8,

There is another way to get a HD STB discount for current D* customers. You can call and ask for the customer retention group. Then, explain that you are looking at HD STBs and they are VERRRY expensive (especially versus a $5/mo cable box rental). The D* representative I talked to said that they have no specific program for rebates, as D* does not yet sell HD STBs, however, they did give me a $150 credit on my D* bill upon activation. Other threads have shown that current D* customers have gotten $100-$250 credits.

Your post said you want to save $$$ so I wanted to ensure you had seen this credit possibility.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just to comment..I have had a Mit STB (Directv-OTA0 for 18 montsh now and zero problems. And have had no over -heating problems to date. It seems that the latest generations of STB's are no better..if as reliable..as the STB I have. And they cost more, not less. I paid slightly less than $600 for my STB.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to thank you all for providing me insightful input on this thread. I am still undecided, but think that the E86 may be my best deal at this time. The samsung has the nice feature of simul output, but it doesn't sound like its worth the trouble everyone is talking about. Keep the suggestion coming, i'm soaking it all up!!! thanks again!

Jamson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.