Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a newb to this forum and I am buying a cheap, temporary front projector this week. I am not ready to buy a screen, but I would like to make an inexpensive one that'll get me by for a few months and I need some questions answered.

I'm familiar with movies that don't have the perfect fit in 16:9 format (some movies still have black bars) and I need to know how to measure a screen to accommodate all 16:9 aspect ratios. The screen size will be over 100". What aspect ratio is required? For example, 2.35:1 would be 235" X 100"... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will be mounting a board and painting it. What's the best paint I can use? How should it be applied? Keep in mind, I live in Canada and I'm not exposed to some American brands. If a board isn't your cats meow, I'm open to other suggestions.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of you have created a border for the screen. What benefits does this have? What material should I use?

I'm new to this whole concept, so if I've forgotten anything, please enlighten me. I'm very eager to learn more and all of your shared experiences and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Matt

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Use the search function here.

This topic has been addressed a multitude of times. You should be able to find out all of what you are looking for.

Good Luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I think I'm going to take Ron's advice and use Parkland Plastic poly-wall instead of painting a screen. Does anyone know if it can be purchased in Canada or should I order directly from the website? Should I use a 1.3 gain with the shiny side or a 1.0 gain with the matte side? What's the best adhesive to use? I noticed that Ron used contact cement so I might give that a try. What more do I need to know about making my own screen? Please contribute your comments, techniques, and experiences (good or bad) that I can learn from. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ordered a Parkland 5X10 sheet of Poly-wall and I'm now deciding on what projector to buy. Where's a good place to get a good price and what's a good model within the 3-5 thousand mark? Most of my equipment is Marantz, is their projector good?

I was told to use a water based adhesive and press it with a roller. It should arrive in 3-5 business days. It cost $37 for the screen, $5 for the packing, and $27 for shipping to Canada. Is that a good price? What did the rest of you pay?

I am going to make a 100" diagnal screen in 16:9 and I'm going to cut the plastic so that I can still get a 4:3 ratio, but I'm not sure how I'm going to mask the borders when I convert from 4:3 to 16:9 (or 1.85 - 2.35 :1)... any suggestions?

The widest point will be 92.02" and the longest measurement will be 60". I will taper it accordingly, depending on the aspect ratio in use. Should I mask from bottom and right or equal distances from each side?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry to say, but I must admit that this forum isn't what I expected it to be. I feel that getting a response is like pulling teeth. The lack of participation and welcoming of new members is pathetic. From now on, I'll use the 'search' option to seek information. It would appear that conversation isn't encouraged at this forum. Good luck to all of you and enjoy your theaters, I know I will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.