AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seemingly hopeless attempts yesterday to find a Pioneer 42" XDA Kuro plasma and countless phone calls. I finally managed to locate 2.

One was BNIB but the dealer was adament that he could not go even a dollar below the rrp because they are so rare and sought after, i.e $3499

The second was a floor model and had been on the wall for 8-9 months. I worked out that equates to 2 - 2.5 thousand hours of use. I was able to negotiate a price of $2600 for this set.

I am a little green when it comes to new TV technology and would appreciate people's advice on whether this represents good value or if they believe i would be better off spending the extra $900 on a new set?

I have done a little research and discovered some points of concern: I.e.

- possibility of dead pixels

- use over the 8 months on maximum (factory preset) brightness and contrast settings, leading to faster dissipation of gas.

- use of poor signal connections using chains of cables and splitters in the store

If anyone can advise on the two options and the significance of the concerns i listed i would be EXTREMELY greatful.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Its a tough call...$900 bucks is a lot of scratch.

You MUST make sure the TV has no burn-in, no dead pixels and that everything works as it should. Then, make sure the TV has its full warranty in-tact. Also, make sure the floor model can be returned with no questions asked for at least 30 days or whatever.

I dunno.... like I said, $900 is a lot of money. If you can safeguard the purchase of the floor model then go for it, but if there are ANY dodgy things about it.... get the new one.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for ther responses.

I am in Australia but the XDA was available in the States too. The XDA has been discontinued for around 2 months now. It was VERY popular and sold out in no time. Not full HD (1024 x 768) in 42" their was also a 50" model.

Models: PDP-428XDA & PDP-508XDA

Well, the 5 year warranty is still valid beginning date of purchase.

I will check for burn-in - but i'm not 100% sure how to check for dead pixels. It may be difficult, as you would expect the store is quite brightly lit.

Also will have to check the 30 day store return policy, but i'm pretty sure that the warranty is exactly the same as with the new model.

I would appreciate tips on what to look for to make sure there is nothing dodgy about the set and perhaps what questions i should be asking the sales person.

I was also a little concerned about the 2000 (give or take) hours the tv has already been in use on display - (probably with max contrast and brightness settings). Though with an estimated 60,000 hour life span I'm not sure if this worry is justified? Also the other concerns I mentioned in my first post.

Just not sure what to do ...

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Sounds to me like you should buy the new one for peace of mind because you're clearly very concerned about the store demo.

OTOH, if the store demo has run for the time you say, there is some measure of demonstrated reliability because electronics generally fail pretty early or else last a long time. This one is beyond the infant mortality window, IMO.

Maybe the store would throw in an extended warranty on the display model to help ease your mind?

In either case, better not debate too long or you may miss out on both of them from the sounds of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts