AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some input. I currently have a non-digital 36" WEGA. My viewing distance is around 7.5". I like my WEGA, but it has the uneven brightness problem (which may or may not be fixed today; a Sears tech is replacing a coil, which presumably fixes the problem). If Sears cannot fix this problem, I am considering taking back the WEGA and buying the new Panasonic 46" (47?) HDTV. If I pricematch this set the whole thing will cost me another $250 - $300 over the WEGA. My question is is 7.5" too close for this TV? If not, would I be crazy not to return the WEGA, regardless of whether Sears can fix the problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would go with a Toshiba 40H80 or the new 42H81 or 50H81 when they come out. The reviews/comments for the Panny 47" have been less than stellar at *************** and the new Toshiba opinions have been outstanding. There haven't been many reviews for these new models though. (You should still check out the 40h80 reviews.) Remember, you are also getting HDTV compatibility with these sets.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Definitely go with the bigger set. Theres no contest there. Especially since its a hdtv set. Wega's are nice but they're more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. You wont regret going for the biggger high definition set.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
KOHokie! THAT is exactly what I am doing! Sears could not fix the brightness problem with my KV16 (which one do you have?) and it is going back for the 47" Panasonic. At your viewing distance, watching 1.33:1 programs will give you the same size as on your 36" Wega, therefore, no problem. You are not too close.

(Be advised, it is not wise to watch 1.33:1 programs on this set for the first 100 hours of operation, unless they are zoomed in or stretched to cover the entire screen. This allows the CRT's to settle and avoid burn-in)

If you have any questions or want to know more about my Sears/Sony nightmare, e-mail me at [email protected] and also check out my post about this issue in the store feedback section at the Home Theater Forum (I'd post a link, but they are down, as usual).

WORDS OF CAUTION: If you go with the Panasonic, make sure you drop the contrast down below 50% on all inputs (there are settings for each) as soon as you turn the set on! Drop sharpness down to less than 30% and color to below 50% Also, brightness should be reduced to about 50%. Factory settings on this set are way off, in what we call "Torch Mode", which will damage your set in only a few hours time if not adjusted.

The first month of a RPTV's life is critical and you must avoid "burn-in" on the set. CALIBRATE with VIDEO ESSENTIALS or AVIA, or at least with a THX OPTIMODE menu (which can be found on the T2 SE DVD).

A web site dedicated to this set is located HERE.

Let us know what happens!

UPDATE I have that link now. Click HERE!

In the end, if a RPTV is properly calibrated and kept out of torch mode, it will look fantastic and blow you away. They just take more work than a tube set, is all.

[This message has been edited by Matt_Stevens (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the new H or HX81s feature any component video inputs, progressive scan and/or front video inputs? If not, I may have to jump on the 40H80 currently going for $1470.00!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by macbers:
Can anyone tell me if the new H or HX81s feature any component video inputs, progressive scan and/or front video inputs? If not, I may have to jump on the 40H80 currently going for $1470.00!
Yes, they have components inputs, for sure. That's how they get the HD inputs. Not sure if the 40h80 has two (I think it does). I have the 56h80, which does have two component inputs in the back, as well as an assortment of s-videos and composites in the back and in the front. The 40h80 appears to be a great deal currently, in my opinion. Check out the Toshiba site for details.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mlabrinos:
Yes, they have components inputs, for sure. That's how they get the HD inputs. Not sure if the 40h80 has two (I think it does). I have the 56h80, which does have two component inputs in the back, as well as an assortment of s-videos and composites in the back and in the front. The 40h80 appears to be a great deal currently, in my opinion. Check out the Toshiba site for details.

How do you like your 56H80? From what you know now, would you wait for the new models to come out or are you happy enough with the 56H80?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KOHokie:
My question is is 7.5" too close for this TV?
I watch a 64-in. HDTV acquired last summer from about 8 ft. Suspect you could sit even closer than what you propose. With a HDTV signal such distances are no problem at all. You should have resonably clean NTSC signals--and a good buillt-in line doubler--to watch non-HDTV programming up close. -- John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.