AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my HTPC to drive my Barco 808. I use dscaler to process the s-video signal from my cable STB (from Cox communications) and TheaterTek to play DVDs. I have an ATI video card and scale everything to 1024 X 768. I end up watching a fair amount of 1.33 aspect ratio material as well as wider aspect ratios.

Now I want to get HD channels from Cox, and the only HD interface they offer on their STBs is component video, 1080i. So I've been considering two alternatives:

1. equip the HTPC to accept and scale the component signal. I guess I would use the Holo3D with daughter card.

2. Run the component signal through a decent transcoder and into port 3 on the Barco 808. I would leave the HTPC on port 4/5, so I could switch between standard definition and HD by selecting the appropriate port on the projector.

I guess I'm leaning towards option 2, since it leaves everything except the HD viewing as is, and is probably the least expensive option. Any other opinions?

Rick

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
There's a small possiblity the Fusion III QAM would be able to view the HD stations on Cox. You might want to search the HDTV forum here and see if Cox is encrypting HD in your area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.