Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at buying a projector and screen with the following requirements.

- Projection distance around 3m(10f)

- Seating distance from 2m(7f) to 4m(13f)

- Ceiling height is 8 foot.

- Drop down screen either manual or automatic

- Most viewing is at night, so ambient light shouldn’t be a problem.

- Source is DVD and HDTV set top box, (both RGB).

- 4:3 is not required as almost all material is wide or letterbox.

- The projector will be ceiling mounted on a shelf above the seating area.

I am thinking of a Sony HS10, I live in Australia so I am a bit limited on models and prices really suck (i.e. The HS10 is around $5800).

I have no idea on what size or colour screen would be best. I also have some concerns with a drop screen not being flat but in my current house I cannot mount a fixed one and a tensioned one is way to expensive.

Any suggestions or recommendations would much appreciated. Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
146 Posts
The HS-10 has a fairly long throw. I'd say at 3 meters throw you're looking at only a 2 meters wide image. Unless you buy the "short throw lens", another $300+.

The Panasonic L300u will give you a much bigger image.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply,

I guess with my close viewing distance I don't really want to go too big with the screen (ie 2m or less). The last thing that I wan't to see is pixels.

I noticed that the AE300 has less resolution, would this be noticable?

BTW. I have owned several CRT projectors is the past thats why I am a bit worried about those pesky little pixels.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you are used to the CRT, you might be happier with a DLP projector (provided that you and your family do not suffer from rainbows).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmm, why is a DLP more like a CRT PJ?

I don't know if any of us suffer from the rainbow effects, and if we did it would be too late. I don't really wan't to take any risks.

Are there any units that don't create rainbows?

If so what models would fit my requirements around the same price as the HS10/AE300?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
mmm, why is a DLP more like a CRT PJ?

I don't know if any of us suffer from the rainbow effects, and if we did it would be too late. I don't really wan't to take any risks.
Yeah, that is exactly why I did not go for the DLP. Even if you know about yourself and your family, you cannot guarantee anything for your friends/guests...

Despite this potentially deal-breaking drawback, however, the latest DLP projectors produce noticeably better blacks and shadow details as compared to LCD's -- a more "CRT-like" image, but the blacks are still by no means perfect like a well-calibrated CRT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I't is sooooo hard to make the right decision! Every PJ has its + and -'s.

I don't wan't to spend too much as the technology changes very quickly. So I need something that will last a few years and keep me and the family happy.

I don't think that I wan't to risk going to DLP just yet; to me a spinning mouse wheel seems like a silly idea, an is only used to keep the price down and maximize the profits for the manufacturers.

Best to hang off on DLP until 3 panel unit become affordable.

So at this stage I am still leaning to-wards the Sony HS10 with it's higher resolution which should minimize pixels.

Where can I find out the projection distance vs the screen size? Is there a web link to the specifications, I couldn't find it on the Sony web site.

Thanks again

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Sushi,

Looks like with my distance of 3m(10 feet) the screen size can be 65 to 82inch.

I checked my room, and the bigest size (w x h) that I could easly fit is 82 inch anyway. So the Sony should just fit.

I just cane back from a store that had the HS2 and the HS12 but not the HS10 on display.

I can say that I hated the HS2 at my seating distance, the pixels were very noticable.

The HS12 was fine.

I can't find a store that has the AE300 on display so I don't know if the pixel structure would look similar to the HS10/12 or the HS2. Has anyone compared these models?

Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
334 Posts
caranick - try out TasmanAV if your in Melbourne, they also have offices around Australia in all the capital cities. They had the Pana, Sony and NEC there. I went there this morning to do a Pana v NEC demo side-by-side, see my PJ Demo post that I put up this morning for more info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have done a bit more reading and I don't think that I can use the Panasonic as the fan blows out the back. I need to be able to mount it up against an exposed beam on a shelf.

I think the screen size that I will go with is either the 82 or 72 inch 16:9 format. Most likely matt white 1:0 or 1:1 as some seating positions are off to the side.

I still need to look at prices of the pulldown compared to the motorised.

The two most common brands of screens around is Herma(LP Morgan) or Screen Technics.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these screens? Or perhaps know of an alternative in Melbourne?

Also I need to connect a DVD player that has RGB output, does the Sony HS10 need a special cable or can the component input be set for standard RGB?

Thanks again for you help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.