AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Message from newbie, so sorry if it's not the right forum. lmk if there's a better place.)

Here's my situation: I have about 300 CDs and a very small living room. Decent receiver and Polk bookshelf speakers. So I'd like to rip the CDs to *something* to free up space and add the convenience of digital management and using remote control of some sort.

Here are some preferences and constraints:

- I don't want a laptop hooked into my receiver. I just don't like the look of that - I want to keep a sleak look in my living room. Ideally I could add one small device that could sit on top of the receiver.

- I would like to manage the music with a remote control type device - so I can stand anywhere in my living room and play or change music. (I don't want to have to go to the receiver to change music all the time.) So the thought of an iPod or something tethered to the receiver that I have to walk over to is not so appealing. (Unless there's a way to operate the tethered device via remote.)

- Prefer lossless format for my CDs

- Keeping costs to a minimum.

- We have no TV in our living room and don't intend to get one.

- We have a MacBook and a couple of iPhones, but I'm not keen to rely on the MacBook for music storage. (Not enough HD space - I estimate I need about 300GB ) I could see using the MacBook or iPhone as a quasi remote, though, if there is a way to do that.

I'm currently looking at the Brennan JB7 as a solution. A friend said look into Apple solutions, but I'm not so sure about the remote control aspect.

Your advice and suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsanford
(Message from newbie, so sorry if it's not the right forum. lmk if there's a better place.)

Here's my situation: I have about 300 CDs and a very small living room. Decent receiver and Polk bookshelf speakers. So I'd like to rip the CDs to *something* to free up space and add the convenience of digital management and using remote control of some sort.

Here are some preferences and constraints:

- I don't want a laptop hooked into my receiver. I just don't like the look of that - I want to keep a sleak look in my living room. Ideally I could add one small device that could sit on top of the receiver.

- I would like to manage the music with a remote control type device - so I can stand anywhere in my living room and play or change music. (I don't want to have to go to the receiver to change music all the time.) So the thought of an iPod or something tethered to the receiver that I have to walk over to is not so appealing. (Unless there's a way to operate the tethered device via remote.)

- Prefer lossless format for my CDs

- Keeping costs to a minimum.

- We have no TV in our living room and don't intend to get one.

- We have a MacBook and a couple of iPhones, but I'm not keen to rely on the MacBook for music storage. (Not enough HD space - I estimate I need about 300GB ) I could see using the MacBook or iPhone as a quasi remote, though, if there is a way to do that.

I'm currently looking at the Brennan JB7 as a solution. A friend said look into Apple solutions, but I'm not so sure about the remote control aspect.

Your advice and suggestions are welcome!
you need a few things...

1. buy a firewire or USB disk and hook it up to the macbook for storage.

2. get an apple airport express and hook it up to your stereo via optical or analog.

3. download the free remote app for your phones

4. rips some CD's to your new disk with iTunes.

5. start enjoying your music.

You have most of the peices and there is no other solution you can get that is more cost effective for what you want.

Sean

·
Registered
508 Posts
Take a look at the Squeezebox Touch.

You can hook up a hard drive an have an all in one solution the same as the Brennan JB7, but it will do much more. You can connect to the internet and listen to internet radio and podcasts. You can get an app for you iPhone to control the SBT remotely, and in the future you can remote your music collection to a server and play to multiple squeezeboxes. Most people who have squeezeboxes use FLAC lossless music format, but you can also use apple lossless.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Sean's got the right idea. With almost all of the proprietart gear on hand, it's the simplest solution. I WOULD say get the ATV over the Airport though....just in case you want to do video as wall or use the display as a music library viewer. The REMOTE app is simpky stunning with and now with the inclusion of Airplay, Pandora and LastFM stream directly from the iTouch with full station changing and creation features.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great info!

Quick question - I'm concerned about internet connectivity on my MacBook while I'm playing music. If my Macbook is connected and streaming to the Airport Express, do I lose the MacBook's connection to my wifi router? (I've got my cable modem line coming into a linksys wifi router on a different floor from where my living room stereo/speakers are located.)

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's another vote for the Squeezebox + external dedicated h/d.

SBs support apple lossless (I use Flac since I have pc's). I have the SB classic and love it; the Touch is reported to be even better.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsanford /forum/post/19625888

Quick question - I'm concerned about internet connectivity on my MacBook while I'm playing music. If my Macbook is connected and streaming to the Airport Express, do I lose the MacBook's connection to my wifi router? (I've got my cable modem line coming into a linksys wifi router on a different floor from where my living room stereo/speakers are located.)

Any ideas on this?

No you won't. The Airport Express would be connected to the same WiFi network so you'll be able to stream music and browse the internet, etc. at the same time.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsanford /forum/post/19625888

Any ideas on this?

no concern

·
Registered
508 Posts
The main decision you need to make is whether you want to run your macbook when playing music. If that's OK, then the airport express will work for you. If not, then you need to look at the Squeezebox, or possibly the Apple TV (although i am not sure of its music capabilities abilities without a TV).

The other thing you need to decide is if you just want to listen to your own music, or whether you also want internet radio, podcasts, and music services like Pandora. If you want all this, then look at the Squeezebox. I am not sure how much of this is supported by the Airport express. Maybe someone else on the board can answer this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm very happy with my Airport Express, with the one caveat that it cannot stream high-res audio without resampling to 16/44.

I have a 1TB USB drive for my digital media, and a second 1.5TB drive for backup of all my HDs. My Mac is upstairs in my small studio, and I can sit on the living room couch and control iTunes with my iPhone using Apple's Remote app.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.