AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a couple of questions.

Up for sale locally is a swapped out SVS PC plus 12.2 woofer for about $100. How reasonable is that (supposedly in good shape)?

I was thinking about using it as a first DIY project. Maybe as an "end table" sealed or ported enclosure to replace an M&K MX 350 in my living room HT.

How might I go about modeling the enclosure and matching the amplifier; are the specs for the sub readily available?

Is there another enclosure I am not considering which could add significantly to the subs performance, which is really asking the first question in a different way? If there is way to get significantly more performance out of the sub, I might move it into the dedicated HT to augment my two PC 13 ultras.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
For ported, anything between 3 ft^3 and 4 ft^3 tuned around 20Hz will emulate the SVS boxes/cylinders pretty well. Sealed is around 2 ft^3.

To more accurately model frequency response, use P-E's 315HF-4. The 12.2 should have considerably more excursion and thus more power handling and output, but its frequency response will be *real* close...close enough that the room's effect should swamp any anechoic differences. I built a 315HF-4 and SVS 12.1+ driver into identical ported boxes (3.5/20Hz) and they measured identically in room. Since the 12.2 was a drop in replacement for the 12.1, it should work in the same alignments as a 12.1. Since A=B and B=C, then A=C. :) FWIW, TC Sounds briefly sold a dB500-12 that was rumored to be leftover 12.2 stock when SVS went in-house with the 12.3...the db500-12 also models virtually identically to a 315HF-4.

Even in a smalled sealed box, the 12.2 should steal your 350's lunch money. Loved M&K, but all of their woes can't be layed at the feet of "knockoffs". Based on the published measurements of a 350THX by HomeTheaterMag, my little 315HO in 1.2 ft^3 with a 300 watt amp significantl out performs it in frequency extension and output. M&K simply didn't appear to keep up with advances in subwoofer driver design over the years...there's no replacement for displacement.

-Brent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brent, that is just the kind of help I was looking for, and after all this time I had just about given up on a response.

I had read something similar about the TC Sounds db500. Jack Gilvey at SVS said he couldn't give me the driver specs but he too suggested a 3.5^3 ported box tuned to 20 hz "to emulate the original ported alignment". Having the information about the 315HF-4 is really helpful too.

The M&K 350 is getting old (close to 10 years now?), but still sounds remarkably good where and how I use it (in the living room with low levels, music mostly; all of the HT stuff plays in a dedicated room). At the time, it was a pretty good sub, and it was mhy first "real" sub, but if I had what what I paid for one then, I could probably buy a couple of good commercial subs now, and who knows what one could build for the money.

I think I will see if the driver is still available, and maybe I can turn this into a build thread.

Thanks again,

Wayne

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf /forum/post/19571522

TC Sounds briefly sold a dB500-12 that was rumored to be leftover 12.2 stock when SVS went in-house with the 12.3...the db500-12 also models virtually identically to a 315HF-4.

I have some 12.2 drivers that still have the db500 label on the motor. For a brief time I had a 12" SVS Ultra driver. When I removed the magnet boot, it had an Audiomobile label on it. Finally, I bought some surplus TC9 motors directly from TC Sounds. When I got them they had Elemental Designs labels on them.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwomd /forum/post/19573367

Thanks Brent, that is just the kind of help I was looking for, and after all this time I had just about given up on a response.

I had read something similar about the TC Sounds db500. Jack Gilvey at SVS said he couldn't give me the driver specs but he too suggested a 3.5^3 ported box tuned to 20 hz "to emulate the original ported alignment". Having the information about the 315HF-4 is really helpful too.

The M&K 350 is getting old (close to 10 years now?), but still sounds remarkably good where and how I use it (in the living room with low levels, music mostly; all of the HT stuff plays in a dedicated room). At the time, it was a pretty good sub, and it was mhy first "real" sub, but if I had what what I paid for one then, I could probably buy a couple of good commercial subs now, and who knows what one could build for the money.

I think I will see if the driver is still available, and maybe I can turn this into a build thread.

Thanks again,

Wayne

This close mic'd measurement of a 350THX will approximate the anechoic response. Could be useful for decision making when comparing to sims of the RS315/db500, which will also be anechoic response. Unfortunately, HTMag doesn't do ouput tests and S&V doesn't have any lab results online for M&K.

Where in NC are you?

-Brent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I saw that review some time in the distant past. As you said, the SVS driver with the right enclosure and amp should put that to shame.

I am in Chapel Hill, if you are ever up this way, feel free to drop by...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwomd /forum/post/19586657

I think I saw that review some time in the distant past. As you said, the SVS driver with the right enclosure and amp should put that to shame.

I am in Chapel Hill, if you are ever up this way, feel free to drop by...

Darn. That's a bit far to offer a hand if you do decide to build something. Plus, the "wolf" in my handle makes me a bit allergic to entering CH...too much of that light blue color floating around.

-Brent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwj81 /forum/post/19590520

12" dB-500 SVC

Qts 0.447

Qes 0.481

Qms 6.347

Fs 24Hz

Res 3.25Ω

Ls 2.36

Lp 3.51

Rp 2.91Ω

Dia 241mm

Vas 71.5l

mms 169g

cms 244um/M

bl 13.3Tm

Spl 86dB

Thanks LWJ, where in NC are you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf /forum/post/19590373

Darn. That's a bit far to offer a hand if you do decide to build something. Plus, the "wolf" in my handle makes me a bit allergic to entering CH...too much of that light blue color floating around.

-Brent

Not a short drive. There is plenty of Red in the family, and Purple and Gold (sorry), really not much blue at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts