AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm finally going to go ahead and build a HTPC, after posting here a couple times asking for advice, I think this will be my final build specs, but want to run it by all the experts here and let me know if I'm overlooking anything. This will mainly be used as a media jukebox and some gaming, I'll be using my STB for TV, so no need for a tuner.

Thanks for looking

Here we go:

-SILVERSTONE Silver Aluminum Crown Series CW02S-MXR ATX Media Center

-GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II

-Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

-EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card Change to:

- MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

-OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

-Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

-Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (x5 in raid5)

-LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-11

-KWORLD X-Pert DVD Maker PCI Card VS-L883D PCI Interface

-Logitech diNovo Mini 920-000594 Black USB Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard

Thanks for looking and thanks for your input.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It looks good to me, I used the same board before. Unless you are tied to the NVIDIA card, I would use the new 4850. For gaming, the 4850 beats it and only costs like $190, consumes less power, passes 8ch LPCM, which will be nice for BluRay. the case is great, I had that same case too, the airflow is great and the usage of 120mm is perfect for HTPC and it looks really nice. If sound is a huge concern, then I might consider getting some Nexus 120mm fans, they are absolutely inaudible.

I'm not so sure about using 64 bit. Other folks could chime in, but I think you may run into driver issues at various points when using the 64 bit version with an HTPC. Just a thought.

The processor may be overkill for HTPC uses, but since you'll be gaming, its certainly justifiable. I would seriously think about getting the new 4850 video card though.

I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the inputs Red.

The reason I had opted to go with the 64bit, was primarily because of memory limitations. I don't know if I'll ever need more than the 4gig I'm putting in, but I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new OS if I did. Are there some specific issues I should know about with a 64bit OS and a HTPC? Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recall there being some problems with Arcsoft's TMT (which plays Blu Ray). I don't know about PowerDVD. If you're watching Blu Ray, which it seems you will be, I might think twice. RAM is so cheap now anyway, I don't know that its that big a deal.

I really would go for the ATI 4850 though. I didn't see a power supply, for really quiet operation and enough power I would select from these brands:

Seasonic

Corsair

Aerocool ZeroDba

You can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 /forum/post/14172338

Thanks for the inputs Red.

The reason I had opted to go with the 64bit, was primarily because of memory limitations. I don't know if I'll ever need more than the 4gig I'm putting in, but I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new OS if I did. Are there some specific issues I should know about with a 64bit OS and a HTPC? Thanks again for your thoughts.

I had the same feelings on mine..i was sure i wanted the 64-bit..i still am (it almost seems like a crime to have a 64-bit processor and be wasting 1/2 the bus width, it's not like the 64-bit version of vista is any more than the 32-bit version), i realize i, and you, and others might have some software incompatibilities (though i doubt they'll be drivers unless you have some non-mainstream, older piece of hardware), i think it'll be more programs than anything, but it all depends if you know what you wanna use. (dvd/bd playback, pvr, etc..)

i agree on the PSUs..i'm going with a 380 seasonic personally, but obviously that would never fly with your setup. although a 430 might actually pull it off being the 65W CPU.

for the blu-ray, i actually like the LG GGC-H20L better. might be $30 more, but has 6X BD versus. 4x, and will play HDDVD. all depends on your collection (if you have one) and if you plan on ripping your own BDs to your HD (the 6x versus 4x). on the other hand, the liteon has an 8MB cache. probably 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

oh, and let me know how you like that logitech keyboard. I purchased it too for mine (and still waiting for it). I think it's gonna be too small as a primary keyboard, but the GF doesn't think so. We shall see.

-Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the inputs, this is the PS I had in mind, but nothing set in stone:

-AeroCool ZERODBA S620 620W ATX12V

as far as that mini keyboard goes, I have another keyboard that I use with my PS3, which I'll use for my main keyboard with the HTPC as well, but I liked the mini for just sitting on the couch if I wanted to type something in, instead of having to pull out the full sized one every time. Just thought it would be convenient.

I'll probably stick with the LiteOn, My library is completely BD and DVD, and as far as burning to the HD, I will be doing that, but I'm the patient sort, so a little slower is no big deal.

As far as what software I'll be using with the BD player, I haven't given it much thought, any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after doing a bit more looking, I took your advice red, and swapped to the 4850.

Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thats a very fine PSU. I never heard it in my rig. As for BluRay software, I think you are limited to PowerDVD, I don't think Arcsoft TMT supports 64 bit. But, you may be able to use Nero or something else. However, the two primary choices are TMT and PDVD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts