AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here a couple years reading about the Pioneer Kuros (and projection installations, electronics and speaker upgrades, etc.) but recently decided to wait a while longer to purchase because of the economy. I'm pretty familiar with Kuro plasmas and some basic Plasma v. LCD issues.

My 82 year old mother's 1996 35" Mitsubishi (that I purchased for her) went out last week after 12 or so years and can't be fixed. I think a Kuro would be overkill for her. I checked CNET and it looks like the Panasonic TH-50PZ800U might be a consideration. At 50" it would have about the same vertical height she is used to, but would add horizontal viewing area due to the aspect ratio.

Viewing distance is about 8-10 feet.

Primary viewing: Local news & Astros baseball with an old movie or maybe a Boston Legal thrown in from time to time.

Source: Comcast cable box; would consider switching to Direct TV. Might add a blu ray but unsure how frequently she would use it.

Close captioning: A must for everything.

Room: Most of the viewing is from 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM (average about 2-3 hrs during that period unless it's baseball season) so it's daylight. The curtains are open so the dog can look out and there is a fair amount of light where the TV would be located (although the windows face North so direct sunlight is abated). I'm concerned about how a Plasma would handle the ambient light. (Her viewing time might increase with HDTV; I don't think she's ever seen an installation in a home.)

A few of my friends have Samsung but I don't know if they are Plasma or LCDs. (I'm pretty sure the latter.) All I know is they look a bit bright and overly sharp to my eyes. They seem to like the picture, though.

Any thoughts would help. I don't think I want to spend more than $3k and would be happy spending less.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
412 Posts
A Panny 50" PZ800U would be overkill for her. Get the Panny 42" PX80U instead. It's much cheaper and it still produces a satisfactory picture for an 80 yr old's eyes. Horizontal height will be about the same, but vertical viewing would obviously be wider.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^^ .. agree w/ above member, if unit is 'solely' for your grandmother (
), then the 42" PX80U would be sufficient. 6ave, B&H; free shipping. If, OTOH, its for someone else 'included' (
), then "you" may want a nicer unit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Personally I think a LCD would suit her better. I know I've seen my mother in law leave her 27" crt on for hours on the tv guide chanel while she was doing other stuff around the house. I'm not saying she'll do the same but, I wouldn't want to risk her getting burn-in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Excellent points already made, esp by DevilDog re: the LCD option. Not knowing what your mother's viewing habits are it's hard to be specific, but my wife often leaves her TV on all night, beats me why, but I'd also worry about burn-in should anything get left on the screen by accident for a long time. LCD picture should be more than adequate too. We traded up from a similar 35" set a few years ago and really anything on the market today is a significant improvement. SAve the most money too and go with a 720p set if you see one.

Dave

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctouhey /forum/post/15537486

My 82 year old mother's 1996 35" Mitsubishi (that I purchased for her) went out last week after 12 or so years and can't be fixed. I think a Kuro would be overkill for her. I checked CNET and it looks like the Panasonic TH-50PZ800U might be a consideration. At 50" it would have about the same vertical height she is used to, but would add horizontal viewing area due to the aspect ratio. Viewing distance is about 8-10 feet.

Primary viewing: Local news & Astros baseball with an old movie or maybe a Boston Legal thrown in from time to time.

Source: Comcast cable box; would consider switching to Direct TV. Might add a blu ray but unsure how frequently she would use it.

Close captioning: A must for everything.

Room: Most of the viewing is from 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM (average about 2-3 hrs during that period unless it's baseball season) so it's daylight. The curtains are open so the dog can look out and there is a fair amount of light where the TV would be located (although the windows face North so direct sunlight is abated). I'm concerned about how a Plasma would handle the ambient light. (Her viewing time might increase with HDTV; I don't think she's ever seen an installation in a home.)

A few of my friends have Samsung but I don't know if they are Plasma or LCDs. (I'm pretty sure the latter.) All I know is they look a bit bright and overly sharp to my eyes. They seem to like the picture, though.

I don't think I want to spend more than $3k and would be happy spending less.

Samsung Plasmas look unnaturally sharp to me which i think is caused by too much edge enhancement, and the image looks somewhat unnatural. And LCD TVs tend to be too harsh for octogenarian eyes. The picture on the Panasonic plasmas is very Tube-TV-like and easy on the old folks eyes.

You don't need to spend anywhere near $3k, i'm sure your mother would be more than happy with a 720p TH-50PX80U or Costco TH-C50HD18, or if you want to bump it up a notch the 1080p 50PZ80U or 50PZ85U or Costco TH-C50FD18.

The Panasonics have a pretty effective anti-reflective screen and are actually less reflective and less mirror-like than the Tube TVs are. Whichever model you choose, i'm confident that it will handle the ambient light better than the old Tube TV ever did, and will be even easier to see than the tube. And North-facing windows don't let the light come beaming into the room so that works in Plasma's favor. Here's an old link to a good Glare thread with pics that compare the two that might give you an idea of what to expect:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

I've recommended the Panasonic plasma to the parents of more than a few posters here as well as older relatives and friends' parents and they've all been very happy. My GF's 84 year old mother thinks our old TH-42PX50U looks great on her favorite SD shows and she thinks HD looks incredible, and now ever since she watched a DiscoveryHD show about Italy she wants us to give the TV to her and help her upgrade her cable service to HD

Older folks can be apprehensive about watching a Plasma TV because "it's so fancy and high-tech", but i explained to them that other than being flat, it's exactly like using their Tube TV at home - same kinds of menus and a familiar remote, and the only thing they really needed to learn was to get into the habit of using the ASPECT key to do away with the black sidebars as much as possible when watching non-widescreen stuff.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmmmmm reality bites...

Remember kids she is 82 years old.

I have been through 2 sets of parents and grandparents.

They listened to radio for entertainment and LOVED IT.

My MIL is 85 and is watching a 32" CRT. They don't care about what "mode" the tv in they just want to just turn it on and watch that's it period.

Complicated remotes and settings are not for them they don't care.

Like you said:

baseball, news, movies (and she will not care how "nuts on" the pic is at all) and maybe a current show or two.

Get a display that is very resistant to long static images yep maybe a LCD. Plasma is not for her.

The propensity for long torch mode sessions with static images are a very realistic possibility which is bad for ANY plasma but an LCD may tolerate it far better.

And Randy come on get real, they don't do menus and plasma/LCD menus are not the same as CRTs they are much more complicated. They really don't want to deal with that kind of stuff anyway. Just on/off, change the channel, volume up/down...oh and I may fall asleep many times watching fox news and I don't remember how that got in torch mode...what's that anyway?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go with the Panasonic TH 42 720P from costco thats under 700 bucks right now. Put the thing in Just mode with standard picture and she'll be thrilled. Spend any more and it's insane IMO. Did the same for my inlaws and they love the thing. From over 8ft someone of that age is NOT going to know or care about the difference from 720 to 1080. The LCD is going to be very bright compared to what she was watching and may give her headaches after an hour of viewing.

If your holding off on a Kuro due to the economy, buy the 50" 1080 unit from Costco for yourself during the same trip. You'll be thrilled as well and by the time this economy is better the 15G Kuro's will be available ;-). Not to mention, you'll be about 1200 bucks under your initial 3K budget for your mother.

Good Luck and remember that she doesn't care--just wants to watch some tv. Get out and get the thing tomorrow, she'll be thrilled.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I've never meet a 80 year old who cares much about PQ.
They just want to watch TV. I'd get her something like a Panasonic 42"/50" 720p plasma or a Samsung 40"/46"/52" 550 LCD. I'm sure she'd be happy with it. We here at AVS tend to have a mentality based off of either what's best overall or what we like best. We are the few. Most of the real world isn't as concerned about the PQ to the extent that we are here.
Oh and take whatever you get out of torch mode. You don't want the TV so bright that it gives your mom headaches when she watches it when it's not light outside!

Good luck!

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctouhey /forum/post/15537486

Advice? TV For An 82 Year Old

I have a couple of 80-year-olds in my life too. My advice is to budget the amount of money you spend for an HDTV based upon how good your mother's eye sight is and how much time she spends watching TV.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 /forum/post/15538042

Personally I think a LCD would suit her better. I know I've seen my mother in law leave her 27" crt on for hours on the tv guide chanel while she was doing other stuff around the house. I'm not saying she'll do the same but, I wouldn't want to risk her getting burn-in.

Agreed. My grandmother will bring up the guide and then fall asleep on the couch. I think an LCD might be a better fit, since I'm sure she isn't as worried about picture quality as we are.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cool. I was going to start a thread on this topic today!

I have similar situation but in my case the person will only be watching basic cable, DVD and God forbid - VHS! So they don't even need any type of HDTV.

They do want something in the 36" - 42" range and can be wall mounted. And they want to spend as little as possible.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My 83 year old mother lives with us. I have a Panasonic 50PZ85U and at 15' away she thinks it is too bright and can't understand me wanting a 58" set

I have a 40" Toshiba thin bezel LCD in the bedroom and in between TV's I had it in our living room. She thought it was the greatest and large enough for her tastes.

I would look for a 40 or 42" LCD. Set it up for her and check the night time brightness so it doesn't bother her eyes. I'm a plasma lover but that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone.

Just thinking about what my Mom likes and doesn't.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
My grandma still watches tv on a 19" crt with mono speakers. If she had a 42" 720p plasma she would probably fall out of her chair. Panasonic TH-50PZ800U would be soooo overkill it's not even funny, unless you plan on going over there and watching tv with her a lot...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Really why not find a nice large flat CRT in perfect shape add a digital tuner if needed and then she's happy your wallet is really happy.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski /forum/post/15543745

Really why not find a nice large flat CRT in perfect shape add a digital tuner if needed and then she's happy your wallet is really happy.

Just a thought.

I thought about that but due to space limitations they want something that can be mounted nearly flush on the wall. Well, flush compared to a CRT!

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman /forum/post/15543293

My 83 year old mother lives with us. I have a Panasonic 50PZ85U and at 15' away she thinks it is too bright and can't understand me wanting a 58" set

If you upgrade to a 58" display & move your 50" PDP into the MBR... you can turn night into day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate all the comments! They are insightful and helpful.

The comments about screen brightness brought up something I had not previously considered. She just had cataract surgery 2 years ago and every since then she has been light-sensitive. She sees well and colors seem much more vivid, but I suspect eye fatigue would be an issue with any extended viewing on a bright display.

I've always used calibrated displays (even CRTs), and they tend not to be as bright. If the panel can be calibrated, I'll have that done (if she ever logs the viewing time). Do people use break in discs on Panasonic or other brands like the DNice disk some use for the Kuros?

Today she said that clarity of sound and close caption capabilities were of upmost importance. I had my old surround sound system over there a few years back, but she eventually got tired of the extra remote and just used the TV sound. So, I need to be sure the unit has loud, clear sound (very loud).

I've got a bit of reading to do regarding the models mentioned in this thread. I'm sure that I'll find one that seems to match her needs. And, living in Houston, there must be some deals available somewhere. She'll be watching a new TV by Monday!

Thanks again,

Chris

PS - So I don't have to look, what is the current consensus regarding Comcast versus Direct TV (exclude any On-Demand service as she would never use it)? I'm referring to HDTV broadcast quality and channel availability. We don't have FiOS (to my knowledge) and U-verse is just beginning to show up here over the past year or so. Whether she can discern the difference is not as important to me as knowing that if she can, it's there for her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts