AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
20x13 with a Carada 120" 235:1
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been working on completing the lower level of our home and installing a quality laminate floor.

I've heard rave reviews of both the Rockets and Axiom internet branded speakers, however am not sure which one to go with when the time comes. I was set on going with the Axioms something like: QS8s,VP100 and M22's or M60's. For the sub I'm looking at either the Outlaw or the SVS brands.

Thanks for all your help.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
Go to their respective forums and see if there is someone in your area willing to let you come listen to their's.

I don't understand what your flooring has to do with it. Are you worried they may be bright sounding in your room?

· Registered
20x13 with a Carada 120" 235:1
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

I don't understand what your flooring has to do with it. Are you worried they may be bright sounding in your room? [/b]

Exactly my thought, I'm hoping there not too bright, I hear that the rockets are a little softer.

Does anyone have any exp with both brands, I'll be checking both there repective forums.

Thanks again.

· Registered
392 Posts
Order both for a 30 day trial.

I picked Axioms. :D

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Order both for a 30 day trial.

I picked Rockets. :D

you really need to hear them for yourself to determine what works best for YOUR room and YOUR preferences...

you might just find out that both sound just great to you, but you prefer the looks of one over another.

both brands have a devout following because they both offer great products for the money but offer different sounds.

· Registered
605 Posts
Laminate floor!:eek:

I think you might appreciate the "softer" top end of the Rockets...

I have had my Rockets for 2 years and I have been really happy with them in my HT.

Good luck with your decision! :cool:

· Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by exlondoner
Exactly my thought, I'm hoping there not too bright, I hear that the rockets are a little softer.

Does anyone have any exp with both brands, I'll be checking both there repective forums.

Thanks again.
If you are concerned about them being bright then Rockets may suit you better. Check out both though if possible most owners of both Axiom and Onix are more than willing to offer a demo.

· Banned
20,735 Posts
I really don't like the idea of picking speakers based on bad room design.

Spend a few bucks on an area rug, and some fiberboard wall treatments to achieve good acoustics in the room (probably the most important part of sound quality next to the speakers, some would say even moreso), and you'll be more satisfied than trying to find a poorly designed speaker to match a poorly designed room.

If the room is too bright, both of these speakers will not perform well.

· Registered
879 Posts
Here Here Mr. wiggles sanity will prevail chose best speaker for budget and get a rug.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisWiggles
I really don't like the idea of picking speakers based on bad room design.

Spend a few bucks on an area rug, and some fiberboard wall treatments to achieve good acoustics in the room (probably the most important part of sound quality next to the speakers, some would say even moreso), and you'll be more satisfied than trying to find a poorly designed speaker to match a poorly designed room.

If the room is too bright, both of these speakers will not perform well.
excellent advice...

· Registered
2,724 Posts
Axioms get my vote......

M60ti's Millenium mains

VP150 Center

EP350 Sub

4 Qs8's quadpolar surrounds

Denon AVR2805 AV receiver

Sanyo PLV-Z2 WXGA projector

:)

· Registered
640 Posts
Check out ascend acoustics

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Where would the Ascend Acoustic Speakers fit in terms of Axiom vs. Rockets. I've read the Rockets have a 'warm' sound, the Axiom a 'bright' sound - and the Ascends a sound that best rivals Axiom but not as 'bright', 'harsh', 'detailed'.

Is this accurate? Put another way, a line with Rockets on one end, Axiom on the other end (which represents 'warm' vs. 'bright') - where would one put the Ascends. For specifics, lets say Rockets 550 MKII and Axioms M60ti, and the Ascend 340M's.

Rocket____________________________________________Axiom

· Banned
3,181 Posts
chris has given the best advice.....

treat the room...even if minimally to reduce the "echo" effect and then pick speakers that sound the best to you.....

and don't just limit yourself to the two brands you listed.... there are many great speaker brands out there....

listen...listen.... listen... and then go out and do some more listening....

cheers!

:)

· Registered
2,089 Posts
For your example of the 550.2, 340s and M60 all these were at the Austin GTG this weekend. With most of the speakers you could be in the kitchen area and know which was playing in the living room. Not so with the 550.2 and the 340, you needed to take the time to listen to figure out which was playing they are so close. They do each have there own sound but it takes actual listening to pick up on. We didn't direct compare the M60s and 340s due to technical difficulties. Once straighten out the M60s were no longer set up.

· Registered
15,021 Posts
I will add to Tex's statement and say that the new Rocket 550.2 is not a warm speaker by any means. IMO, they have done a very good job with this interation of the speaker.

From the kitchen, you could distinguish between the 550.2 and M60.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.