AVS Forum banner

Which is the best choice for a 60"+ Home Theater Television?

• LG 60PK550 60-Inch Plasma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vizio XVT3D650SV 65-Inch LCD

• Panasonic TC-P65VT25 65-Inch Plasma

• Samsung PN63C8000 63-Inch Plasma

• Other (please explain which & why)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my parents are changing their dining room into a theater room & my dad's looking to me for advice. I know enough to give him some general advice, but not enough to be confident selecting a specific model.

Info:

Price isn't super-critical. I think anything up to ~$4500USD should be fine, which covers most all consumer level tv's.

3d isn't a concern...having it would be a nice feature, but only if the set is worth buying for its 2d viewing as well. Active-shutter or passive-polarized are both fine options for his needs.

LED backlighting or edge-lighting is a must for any LCD models, he doesn't want to deal with a CCFL backlit unit. I think he'd prefer back-lit for the increased number of local-dimming zones and--from what i've gathered--truer color reproduction. He doesn't mind the extra couple inches of depth over edgelit.

Medium-sized room, 60-80" is the range he's looking for, certainly nothing under 60", 65" is his ideal.

Room will NOT be fully dark. There will be open doorways to the rest of the house, as well as a large window (south-facing, so won't cause glare in the afternoon/evenings).

Movies/TV priority. He wants to get a ps3 or xbox360 for the option to have some console gaming enjoyment, but that won't be the focus.

So, the big choice is Plasma vs. LCD.

From what i've gathered, Plasma would give the best colors & deepest blacks, but i'm thinking the black levels will likely be unnoticeable compared to a good LCD since the room won't be fully dark much if ever.

In contrast, i think the somewhat bright room would benefit from the higher brightness of an LCD...and i'm thinking that the newer LED's with local-dimming for the backlit, or the edge-lit dimming (albiet less zones) would help the black levels get somewhat close to a plasma, hopefully dark enough it wouldn't be a noticeable glow coming from dark sections of the display.

Aside from the Plasma vs. LCD considerations, i'm worried about some specific models. Namely, the Panasonic plasma line that i've read has issues w/ the voltage level changing & losing the deep blacks, either from having the unit on long enough to cause it to conserve power, or that it just happens after 200-300hrs of use.

He's not concerned about a specific brand, as long as the individual model meets his expectations. So Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Vizio, etc are all fine to go with...tho i'd personally like to stay away from some of the smaller companies, the more units sold the more likely the individual flaws of a model will come to light.

Some units i was considering:

LG 60PK550 60-Inch Plasma

Vizio XVT3D650SV 65-Inch LCD

Panasonic TC-P65VT25 65-Inch Plasma

Samsung PN63C8000 63-Inch Plasma

So...any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sort of overwhelmed by the number of options out there & don't want to make a decision my parents end up griping over for years to come. Rather hear good things about the choice every time i go over for a football game.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The Samsung is my personal favorite, though really I would be happy with any of the plasmas mentioned. All 3 are excellent. The PK550 may be the best bang for the buck.

I have only taken an in depth look at one Vizio in the last couple years, the VF551XVT. It was a local dimming LED LCD. To put it kindly, I was underwhelmed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If he's watching sports, you mention football, highly recommend plasma. Unless room is extremely bright, brightness not going to be a big issue.

IMO choice would be between 63C8000 and 65VT25. Have had both, both are great. IMO VT25 superior PQ, fading blacks a concern, no one knows how severe. Samsung has issues with buzzing, but older folks may not be able to hear. LG a good option as well, minor issues with input lag relative to Samsung / Panasonic plasmas.

Take a look at physical design of Samsung and Panasonic plasmas, are quite different from each other.

Will be happy with either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts