AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought the Mits 46 231. It won't be delivered until next week so I still have some time deciding on which DVD player to but HD or Blu-Ray. The stores I was shopping at Tweeter/Best/Little Guys seem to push Blu. The store I ended up buying from, Sounds Delux in Orland Park, Il. really didn't want to give an opinion either way.

I have a large library already. How do these standard dvds look on HD DVD players?? Anyone have both HD and Blu-RAy?

·
Premium Member
26,549 Posts
My advice is to google and read some basic information about both formats first. You need some basic background about players and studio support so you can wade through the responses members will give you. There is a ton of info already written about both formats right here at AVS, but for a newbie it can get overwhelming.

Here is a format neutral thread to start with:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9394211

But you really need to gather a basic understanding first before asking for suggestions....otherwise the suggestions have no weight without background understanding.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
paul,

One thing to consider is that your current library won't play on a blueray player. This won't matter if you plan on keeping another player to play your Standard DVDs.

Your question will do one thing. Attract as many opinions as they're people.

Getting an unbias opinion isn't likely to happen. They will also be emotional.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/0

One thing to consider is that your current library won't play on a blueray player. This won't matter if you plan on keeping another player to play your Standard DVDs.

That is false info. SD DVDs will play on both HD-DVD and BD players. The PS3 will not upscale SD DVDs, but all other HD and BD players will play them and upscale them (over HDMI, but not over component). That being said, the general consensus is that the HD-DVD players do a better job upscaling SD DVDs than most of the BD players.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
From my personal experience, the HD-A1, XA1 and XA2 players do an awesome job with upscaling SD DVDs. So much so, that Id sold my Denon 3910.

I've arrived at this conclusion after viewing many hours on both of my setups:

A: Toshiba HD player via HDMI>DVI (sometimes component) 60" Sony Grand Wega

B: Toshiba HD player via HDMI>HDMI DLP projector with 120" Stuart Firehawk screen.

Although all three units do a really wonderful job, The Toshiba XA2 is my favorite for upscaling SD DVDs at this point in time. But let me just add that the difference between the A1 and XA2 may not prove all that dramatic to some less critical viewers.

I did try an A2 for two days and was not happy with the picture quality, but judging from all the positive comments I've read about the A2, I'm inclined to believe the unit I had was defective.

Good Luck!

Peter M

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:

paul,

Your question will do one thing. Attract as many opinions as they're people.

Getting an unbias opinion isn't likely to happen. They will also be emotional.

Nice.

Didn't take this thread long, did it.

As far as the PS3 is concerned, it is well documented that it does not upconvert SD DVD from 480p, though a firmware upgrade is rumored. We'll see. There also seems to be a slight majority of neutral members who believe that the Toshibas are at least a bit better at upconversion.

However, there are displays out there that will do the job better than most players making this a moot point for the owners of such displays. I know nothing about your Mits. Maybe someone else here does.

If you're really ambitious, you could buy both formats and experiment with the upconversion of each (again, none on PS3) vs. setting them to 480p or even 480i and letting the display do the work. Take one machine back, buy some HD discs and report your findings back here.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul416 /forum/post/0

Yesterday I bought the Mits 46 231. It won't be delivered until next week so I still have some time deciding on which DVD player to but HD or Blu-Ray. The stores I was shopping at Tweeter/Best/Little Guys seem to push Blu. The store I ended up buying from, Sounds Delux in Orland Park, Il. really didn't want to give an opinion either way.

I have a large library already. How do these standard dvds look on HD DVD players?? Anyone have both HD and Blu-RAy?

Hey Homeboy...New lenox here. I have both formats the Tosh A2 and the PS3 20gb...for regular DVD's the Toshiba does a excellent job over the PS3...For HD material you need to pick your own poison. I do prefer PQ of HD DVD over BD...but not by much. Good Luck!

BTW...Sounds Delux are great people...But if you want a better price call ABT...they will deal more on price.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 /forum/post/0

Hey Homeboy...New lenox here. I have both formats the Tosh A2 and the PS3 20gb...for regular DVD's the Toshiba does a excellent job over the PS3...For HD material you need to pick your own poison. I do prefer PQ of HD DVD over BD...but not by much. Good Luck!

BTW...Sounds Delux are great people...But if you want a better price call ABT...they will deal more on price.

My feelings exactly. All except the part about Sounds Delux. I don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

That is false info. SD DVDs will play on both HD-DVD and BD players. The PS3 will not upscale SD DVDs, but all other HD and BD players will play them and upscale them (over HDMI, but not over component). That being said, the general consensus is that the HD-DVD players do a better job upscaling SD DVDs than most of the BD players.

BillP,

I was not aware that the BluRay players would play standard definition. I had heard that they wouldn't because it would require a different laser. So are you saying for a fact that the current BluRay players will play SD DVDs?????

If I was wrong, please accept my apology.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You are wrong Jim. Ever since day one of the Samsung release every single BD player has played DVDs (I think theya nnounced support at CES 2006!). Many of the BD players are excellent upscalers, as is the Toshiba HD-A1.

For the OP, it's going to be hard for you to get an unbiased opinion on these boards these days. If i were you I wouold look into which mvies are available on which format (at the moment, Universal is HD DVD, Disney, Fox, MGM, and Sony are Blu Ray, and Warner and Paramount are both) plus look at how much money you are wiling to spend, and try to figure it out on your own.

It also would be worth going to your local CE store and seeing if they will let you play with some of the players, since some are more user friendly than others.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts

Quote:

BillP,

I was not aware that the BluRay players would play standard definition. I had heard that they wouldn't because it would require a different laser. So are you saying for a fact that the current BluRay players will play SD DVDs?????

If I was wrong, please accept my apology.

The confusion comes in because some Blu-ray players and the announced dual format LG player will not play CD's and the PS3 currently does not upconvert standard DVDs.

Currently all HD DVD players upconvert standard DVDs over HDMI or in teh Xbox 360 add on's case, over VGA. That's not specifically in the HD DVD standard, it has become precedent.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay /forum/post/0

For the OP, it's going to be hard for you to get an unbiased opinion on these boards these days. If i were you I wouold look into which mvies are available on which format (at the moment, Universal is HD DVD, Disney, Fox, MGM, and Sony are Blu Ray, and Warner and Paramount are both) plus look at how much money you are wiling to spend, and try to figure it out on your own.

It also would be worth going to your local CE store and seeing if they will let you play with some of the players, since some are more user friendly than others.

Great advice on both counts. Many people in the forums seem to have an axe to grind one way or another - even those who own players in both formats. I think it's just too close to call at this point, and getting in the game entails a certain amount of risk that has everyone on edge.

Personally, I opted to go for the lowest cost route of putting a toe in the water in both camps (20GB PS3 and HD DVD add-on for my Xbox 360) and will keep my library investment limited until things seem to be settling out one way or another. At least I can rent completely agnostically without worrying about the long-term implications.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept /forum/post/0

Great advice on both counts. Many people in the forums seem to have an axe to grind one way or another - even those who own players in both formats. I think it's just too close to call at this point, and getting in the game entails a certain amount of risk that has everyone on edge.

Personally, I opted to go for the lowest cost route of putting a toe in the water in both camps (20GB PS3 and HD DVD add-on for my Xbox 360) and will keep my library investment limited until things seem to be settling out one way or another. At least I can rent completely agnostically without worrying about the long-term implications.

I 3rd.

I have my own theories as to how the war will go, but AFAIC both formats are excellent! They display stunning picture and superb audio with a modest amount of bugs for a new format. I believe it's true what people say. The most important thing is the war with SD. It's a battle we can't afford to lose. Could you imagine?

I HAVE seen a lot of "format neutral" guys with very one-sided post histories. So many feuds amongst people that would otherwise have a lot of AV good to talk about.

If you can only afford one system, I would research the present and near future content of each and get the one that plays more of what you want. If you really dig the Universal stuff, get HD DVD. If you don't, and are all about Sony, Fox, MGM and Lionsgate titles, BD might be the way to go.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you can part with the cash!. You really should go with both. There are many movies available on both formats that are a treat for the eyes and ears.

HD DVD/Blu Ray both have strong points. HD DVD/Blu Ray both have weaknesses.

For the price it would be hard to not go with a Toshiba HD A2 and a PS3 20g. Use the Toshiba for upconverting your SD's.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul416 /forum/post/0

Since you're in Chicagoland, I'd recommend taking a trip to Abt in Glenview. They have The Sammy and Pioneer Blu-Ray players, and they have both Toshiba 2nd generation HD DVD players.....they actually had a display/returned A2 for under $300 on Thursday.

Not sure what they have setup in their theater rooms, but I'm sure they would help you do some a/b comparisons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.