AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have DT proCinema 800s in my media room but we are moving to a bigger house. I'll be moving my AV stuff to the great room in the new house. The room is 400sq/ft with 2 story ceilings. I'd like to upgrade my speakers/sub, however still can't get floor standing speakers because my kids will destroy them. I have an 80" sharp TV so ideally, I'd like sleek looking flat speakers but really have no idea where to start. I have a Denon AVR-x4000 receiver. Any opinions on where I should start? Maybe something like DT Mythos XTR-40s or like that type of design. I'm new to this space so I'm not sure where to start. Not looking to spend more than $2000 for the new speakers. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I assume you meant bookshelf speakers on stands and not floor standing speakers (you did mention the Mythos). Anyway, I'd concentrate on your subwoofer needs. Speakers are more of a matter of distance to the listening position, while subwoofers are all about room volume (and volumes of rooms that are open to your listening area). You might consider a couple of really good subs and stay with your current speakers, at least until you know how your speakers will perform in that room.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I currently have DT proCinema 800s in my media room but we are moving to a bigger house. I'll be moving my AV stuff to the great room in the new house. The room is 400sq/ft with 2 story ceilings. I'd like to upgrade my speakers/sub, however still can't get floor standing speakers because my kids will destroy them. I have an 80" sharp TV so ideally, I'd like sleek looking flat speakers but really have no idea where to start. I have a Denon AVR-x4000 receiver. Any opinions on where I should start? Maybe something like DT Mythos XTR-40s or like that type of design. I'm new to this space so I'm not sure where to start. Not looking to spend more than $2000 for the new speakers. Thanks.
These "lifestyle" type speakers usually mean compromising the best sound for aesthetics. You'd get better sound for less using bookshelf or tower speakers.

Then you'll need a good sub or two depending on what type of performance you expect.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I wanted something to mount to the wall, not make a custom shelf for it. The versas look nice. Have you heard them before?

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Yeah, I wanted something to mount to the wall, not make a custom shelf for it. The versas look nice. Have you heard them before?
It is a new line that they just came out with - however, with their good return policy
you can test them in your home.

They look to be well built, and they do make some nice stuff. I have owned some of
their products before.

If you get a chance, try to give them a call tomorrow - they have good customer support

1 - 6 of 6 Posts