AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - been a longtime lurker on this forum and somewhat new to this audio setup. Im on the fence on deciding what to do next enhance my setup to achieve better sound. Rear Surrounds or subwoofer or maybe even amp? Currently I have a Denon 3310 AVR with Vienna Acoustics Mozart (not the grands) for LR channels with Vienna Acoustic Theatro Center. I feel that the Mozarts arent pushing the sound I am looking for since I mainly use my HT watching action movies, gaming, and listening to music (everything in gernral mainly rock/hiphop) . Reason I have the Mozarts are because it was passed to me from a friend for FREE..couldnt pass up that offer!

I went to a local audio/video store and told them about my dilemma and we tried out many things. He tried the Klipsch RF-52s (speaker and receiver only) and was impressed with the sound and the price. The RF-52s seemed brighter and has more bass then my Mozarts. He also told me about the Defintive Technology Supercube 1 which he gave me a good price compared to MSRP and online prices. I also looked at the Klipsch XF-48 icon series and also liked the sound (GF loved the look) and also a great price and compareable to Vanns.com price. So I sort of narrowed it down to those 3 products. If i do get speakers I would put the VA mozarts in the rear and the Klipsch rf52/xf-48 on the fronts. I know people recommend keeping the fronts and center the same brand since it would voice match but i think the Klipsch would do just fine. I would like to know you guys recommendations on the next step. I would love to hear if Im going the right route or wrong. Thanks!

Setup:

Display: Sony XBR4

AVR: Denon 3310

Speakers: VA Mozarts and VA Theatro Center

Playing movies/music/games on PS3 and XBOX360

Size of the room is about 15 x 14 ft in Condo. Im on the top floor so Im thinking the Supercube maybe would bother the neighbors..not sure.

Budget is $1K +/- $200

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Wow.... the VA speakers are nice speakers. A move to the Klipsch or Deftech you are contemplating would be a downgrade IMHO.

One of the first and most over looked "upgrades" you can make to your system and how it sounds is room treatments. Do a forum search on room treatments and do some reading. There is also all kinds of information via Google. Treating your room correctly has probably the biggest impact on the performance of your sound system outside of the speakers themselves. Yet, rarely if ever do folks look into this.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Follow up.... It seems that maybe you prefer that "bright" Klipsch sound. I know I really liked it at first, but with extended listening, it became extremely fatiguing to the point that my ears actually hurt. Be sure that is what you like before moving away from your more laid back VA's. And as an aside, I wouldn't mix and match them at ALL across the front sound stage. They are about as opposite as you can get with regard to their sound signature. You won't be happy at all IMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/17008318

Wow.... the VA speakers are nice speakers. A move to the Klipsch or Deftech you are contemplating would be a downgrade IMHO.

One of the first and most over looked "upgrades" you can make to your system and how it sounds is room treatments. Do a forum search on room treatments and do some reading. There is also all kinds of information via Google. Treating your room correctly has probably the biggest impact on the performance of your sound system outside of the speakers themselves. Yet, rarely if ever do folks look into this.

Yea at first i was thinking the same. Reason i thought of the def tech supercube 1 is b/c the store offers a 1year speaker trade-in which i can upgrade to possibly an REL sub within one year and pay the difference. Sticking with a 1k budget now. I looked onto the Klipsch speakers and sound was nice. Worst case scenario I couldve put the Klipsch in the master bedroom since i have a Denon 3803 AVR sitting there (also given for free
).

So im thinking right now a subwoofer is maybe the better idea.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Definitely do a sub. I agree with QuadRiverfalls and you would be taking a step back. The Mozarts were $2500 or more new. Head to the subwoofer thread and read up.

I have the Mozart Grands and I cannot stress enough to play with placement. They are very sensitive to small changes. There is a dead zone from 4"-18" (from the back of the cabinet to the wall) that you want to stay out of. It can really change the whole spectrum of the Viennas. There is a thread in this forum and a rep from Vienna frequents it. Dave Carr is a very nice asset in there. Use the search bar at the top and put in Vienna Acoustics.

I listen to a lot of different music with an emphasis on Rock. I am very happy with the sound that I get. Placement took a while to get down right.

Room Treatments are always overlooked and can have a very large change to the sound you get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/17008440

Definitely do a sub. I agree with QuadRiverfalls and you would be taking a step back. The Mozarts were $2500 or more new. Head to the subwoofer thread and read up.

I have the Mozart Grands and I cannot stress enough to play with placement. They are very sensitive to small changes. There is a dead zone from 4"-18" (from the back of the cabinet to the wall) that you want to stay out of. It can really change the whole spectrum of the Viennas. There is a thread in this forum and a rep from Vienna frequents it. Dave Carr is a very nice asset in there. Use the search bar at the top and put in Vienna Acoustics.

I listen to a lot of different music with an emphasis on Rock. I am very happy with the sound that I get. Placement took a while to get down right.

Room Treatments are always overlooked and can have a very large change to the sound you get.

Thanks for the feedback. I messed around a couple times with the speaker placement and ended up being 10" from the wall without sticking too far out from the tv stand where the center is placed. You recommended past 18" so I will try that. I am leaning towards a sub so wonder if the deftech supercube1 would be a good fit.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
IMO, the Def Tech super 1 is way over priced. Don't know what deal your getting it for but $1,200 for this sub is alot. I would very seriously look at subs from SVS or Epik or Rhymik before I spent that much even with the upgrade offer your dealer has. You should be looking at these http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/porteddynasty.html http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15.html , all of those subs offer more for the same or slightly more for the price. I think most on the sub forum will agree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 /forum/post/17008489

IMO, the Def Tech super 1 is way over priced. Don't know what deal your getting it for but $1,200 for this sub is alot. I would very seriously look at subs from SVS or Epik or Rhymik before I spent that much even with the upgrade offer your dealer has. You should be looking at these http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/porteddynasty.html http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15.html , all of those subs offer more for the same or slightly more for the price. I think most on the sub forum will agree.

Yea agree that the deftech msrp is overpriced but he is giving it to me for 850 not including taxes which seems reasonable

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
The supercube for $850 is still overpriced, imho. It's a great deal versus other local retailer subs, but does not compare to the ID subs available. The supercube also suffers from high distortion levels at the low end when putting out higher output levels. It also is a very inefficient design with power just to keep it small. If small is a requirement, then something like a sealed unit would sound better and integrate easier. I've heard the super cube offerings and they impress sort of in stores since they're typically placed in a corner and put out big sound, but it's typically very boomy and bloated...not controlled.

Ok, back on speakers, those VA's are a great speaker, but only if you like the sound. However, going to a brighter speaker may sound better initially as it'll seem more detailed, but in the long run as others mentioned will likely be fatiguing. Go listed for extended periods if possible and see what suits your desires, and take time with your current setup placement to absorb the minor changes when things are moved. Ok, enough rambling.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice7 /forum/post/17008466

Thanks for the feedback. I messed around a couple times with the speaker placement and ended up being 10" from the wall without sticking too far out from the tv stand where the center is placed. You recommended past 18" so I will try that. I am leaning towards a sub so wonder if the deftech supercube1 would be a good fit.

You can also be 3"-4" from the wall (where I currently have mine). Believe it or not, it changes the highs. Definitely check out the Vienna Acoustics thread . Lots of helpful people in there. Also play around with toe-in as that can have a huge effect on transparency and imaging.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for your input. Funny I just went to BB today and found the display DefTech Supercube 1 for 350. Sounds great especially the fact that was only 350. I'll definitely adjust the speakers to find a good setting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.