AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new display in the next two months, and am looking hard at getting a used CRT projector. My budged is arround 3000, if I can keep it that low, and am looking at maybe a Barco 800 series or equivilant. I would consider an LCD or DLP in that price range if I can get the same picture quality as the Barco at that price range.

I guess my question is, would I get a better immage from a RPTV in the 2-3k price range ( I work in a consumer electronics retail establishment...so I get a good discount :D ) or do I save a couple extra hundred dollards and step up to a FPTV ( my eventual goal )

I already have an HTPC, and a good sound system, but since my move to the NW, I have no display ( I gave my Toshibe 50" RPTV to my mom )

I am looking at, among the RPTVs. the 53" Pioneer, the 50, or 57" Toshibe, or the 48" JVC....OR a used Front projector of good quality.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

j

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Curt Palme is right there in your city!

And no, you can't get LCD or DLP that looks as good as CRT! (not in this forum anyway :D)

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
My CRT Projector (ECP 3101) is the only on I have ever seen in action. I love it. I have seen many other RPTV's in action and I can definately say that there is no comparison as far a picture quality is concerned. CRT Front Projection is superior.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Guys,

I stepped up from the Toshiba 50" RPTV to first an ECP 3000, then a Barco Data 801s, and have never looked back! Curt has been exellent to deal with; you should give him a shout.

Cheers!

Darrin

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I moved from Vancouver Washington to Seattle not to long ago. Chromy over at DVDFile fwd me an email from Curt not to long ago.

A couple questions.

What do I look for in a used CRT? How many hours of use should I stay away from? What can I expect to get in the 2-3k price range?

This is a little overwelming at this point since I realy know so little about Front Projectors. Your help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
1) You look for no burns and a wear pattern you can work within (not too small, not inverted) without loosing too much brightness. You want digital convergance. You want point convergance. You want adjustable Scheimpflug. EM focus is nice. If the tubes aren't perfect, you want something for which affordable replacements are available new (NEC) or rebuilt by VDC.

2) The hour may or may not run when the projector is muted; and phospher wear doesn't occur in the later case. How hard the projector is driven (contrast/white level) will also influence wear. The hour meter can also be reset. You need to actually look at the tubes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.