AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help...I bought a Pioneer 610HD for Christmas, decided to hold off on HD receiver. Now I want to watch HBO HD and OTA HD(Detroit). Started looking & I liked the Mitsu HD500 DirecTV, then saw that DishNetwork 6000 had a little better HD SAT offerings and a better price point. Looked at unit not too impressed with menu or remote(shouldn't be deciding factor)also I have heard of poor customer support. Then I saw the Sony HD 100 (I knew of some of the problems) looked great, good menu/remote and sales guy whom seemed sincere pushed it. After reading these posts I am now totally confused, I think I am back to the Mitsu, no fan, good menus. Price really isn't and issue I just want a good system. And the DirectTV vs. DishNetwork debate seems to be whom you ask. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My suggestion is to first decide between the two DBS services. There are very clear differences between the two, differences that may make one service a much better choice for you than the other. I'd never tell you one service was better than the other until I knew what factors were important to you.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ken and Jonathan, I am really interested in seeing HBO's Soprano's in HiDef(either DirecTV or DishNetowrk) don't really need NFL Ticket (DirectTV). I would like more HD programing, but I am willing to wait if the customer service from DirecTV is better. But I am a big College football fan, and do watch The Golf channel (added cost with DirecTV). The hardware does matter to me, I don't want sync problems or drop outs.

Thanks again

David B.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello, I have both E*6000 and the DTC-100 for HD and I live in the Metro Detroit area. I like E*6000 better than DTV for HD OTA and HBOHD, SHOHD and HDPPV (24 hours/day). I personally think the picture is better on E*. The only thing i like about DTV is their sports programs which are not in HD. This is why I have both, I would suggest going with Echostar 6000 if you are truly interested in HD. Hope this helps, Regards, Helfy

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have an E* model 6000 and I have been pretty happy with it. The Showtime, HBO, and terrestrial HD channels really spoil you and make the SD channels look like crap.

I agree with jhue . . . pick your DBS service first. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about sports programming and wanted lots of HD programming so E* was the obvious choice for me. I'm not sure what "customer support" problems people have had, I haven't had any. After my self-install, I called up E* and my system was up and running within 5 minutes. A couple days ago, Showtime HD had a movie I wanted to see and another call to E* activated Showtime HD within 3 minutes.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.