AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I asked this question on another site, and was advised to ask it here.

"hooked my computer to a 42 inch 780P w/ svideo cable and was less than impressed. Not sure what I should be looking for as far as the right question(s) to ask on the avsforum.

As an example, it seems that the resolution of 780P is 1280 by 720 as compared to 1024 by 768 which is what I have my card set for...I do notice the TV makes some type of adjustment as I switch the card over to TV-out.

I'm not sure if the following matters, but running XP with a 64MB video card."

I see you have a search feature, but as I said- not sure how to form my question to perform the search.

Thanks in advance, even if it's a link to a FAQ page

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth /forum/post/12938376

Hello,

I asked this question on another site, and was advised to ask it here.

"hooked my computer to a 42 inch 780P w/ svideo cable and was less than impressed. Not sure what I should be looking for as far as the right question(s) to ask on the avsforum.

As an example, it seems that the resolution of 780P is 1280 by 720 as compared to 1024 by 768 which is what I have my card set for...I do notice the TV makes some type of adjustment as I switch the card over to TV-out.

I'm not sure if the following matters, but running XP with a 64MB video card."

I see you have a search feature, but as I said- not sure how to form my question to perform the search.

Thanks in advance, even if it's a link to a FAQ page

First, are you absolutely sure it's a 780p monitor? Not a 720p? Regardless of that, if you're connected to the display by S-video, the computer is only outputting a 480i signal. In order to use the higher resolutions, the computer needs to be hooked up to the display by any of the following: VGA, (DVI or HDMI if the computer is so equipped.)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick /forum/post/12938421

First, are you absolutely sure it's a 780p monitor? Not a 720p? Regardless of that, if you're connected to the display by S-video, the computer is only outputting a 480i signal. In order to use the higher resolutions, the computer needs to be hooked up to the display by any of the following: VGA, (DVI or HDMI if the computer is so equipped.)

Thanks for helping the newbie out. Way for me to stick my foot in my mouth...I should have said "720P"...

OK, so s-video won't give me the resolution. And now that I have the right search term, I see I also can't go from a 15 pin VGA output to HDMI directly...which helped me to translate the last part of your message.

While I do have a computer in the den that would hook to the TV, It makes "too much noise" due to the extra fans I have in the case. So either I just put all this on the back burner, live with the lower resolution, or come up with a different 'puter for the Family room that doesn't make noise.

Thanks again, you at least have me on the right track to research some more.

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
As others have stated you're not going to usable results unless you hook up using a digital connection (either DVI or HDMI). Futhermore, you are going to want to make sure your computer is passing the native resolution of your set. Small text of a computer display just doesn't scale well.

For the best results you should see if your TV supports a 1:1 mode where the scaler is bypassed and the signal is passed directly through. Note that many TVs don't have this feature.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you check to make sure your tv does not have a VGA connector? On my tv hdi and vga connectors are separate from the rca type connectors (bottom of tv vs. side of tv).

Also i would try to find a manual or at least specs on your tv... if it's a wide screen, the resolution might be closer to 1366x768... that's what my 720P tv is... and on my computer i can set my video card to 1360x768 for 1:1 full screen resolution.

for dan computer, turn extra fans off.
or slow them down (rewire the connectors to use 5v line for ground.. resulting in 7v to the fan) I have a whole box of pc fans from the old days when noise was not an issue... want to buy a celeron with slight water damage? ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts