Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AE-100 users,

When watching an extra wide DVD, do you use the zoom function on the projector to fill up the screen? I Wasn't sure if it would keep the original aspect, or degrade the picture. Thanks in advanced.

---neog

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The AE-100's panels are already wide (as in 1.77 ration, not 1.33.) Anamorphic movies fit perfectly onto the screen as is.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I think he is talking about 2.35:1 2.20:1 and 2.50:1 movies. I saw movies like that on an AE100 and the person simply shot them as is. You can't zoom in because the picture is already filling up the screen from left to right. The option you have is to mask the screen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

yes i mean 2.35:1 2.20:1 and 2.50:1, but i didn't notice any image spilling over the edge when i used the pj's zoom function.

Any one else want to comment?

thanks,

---neog

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by neog
...but i didn't notice any image spilling over the edge when i used the pj's zoom function.

Any one else want to comment?
That's because when you use the "zoom" function you are doing exactly that. You are zooming in on the image so that it fills the top and bottom of the screen.

It doesn't expand left or right, but the image is cropped on the sides as the picture is zoomed in.

Pause a scene that has a reference point near a side (on the 16x9 mode) then switch to zoom and see what happens to that point of reference. You'll know how much of the picture you lose when you zoom.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aahhh, now i understand. does it degrade PQ?

---neog

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by neog
Aahhh, now i understand. does it degrade PQ?

---neog
Yes, but for different media it is different.

DVDs you might not notice so much.

When I watch programming from DirecTV that is letterboxed (Enterprise, Angel, ER) some is simply unwatchable zoomed.

Enterprise quality is pretty poor to begin with so I don't zoom in on it.

ER is passable so I generally will zoom on that one.

A better option for you is to create a simple masking system that you can use when watching DVDs. That way you'll get the "full screen" feel without cropping the picture any, as well as seeing it in it's OAR.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Wait a second. What are you "zooming" with? The DVD player or the projector?

If you are zooming with the AE100, can that be used for non-anamorphic DVD's? Although that is in 4:3. Hmmm....how does that work again?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.