AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much decided on getting the AE-500 as my first projector based on everyone's reviews of the 300u and the great looking spec's I've seen for the 500. But it's not out in the US till next year!

What are the potential problems or risks of just ordering one up from Japan and shipping it here? Does the japanese version usually include an english menu option? Are the power requirements different? Can I just ship it back to Japan for warranty work? Anyone here done something like this and not regretted it?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
527 Posts
Alot of people in the UK have bought from ********** and have had no language problems and warranty is fully valid assuming you ship it back.

Ad

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is "**********" available in the UK only? I'm in the US, and was under the impression that when I bought most electroincs from Japan I didn't get a warranty. Is this only through "**********", or does this apply if I just order one from a Japanese shop and get them to agree to ship it overseas?

·
Registered
527 Posts
oh apologies if i cant name names.... warranty wise, as far as i know they warranty for at least a year, i know because they have sorted any problems which have arisen..... if there was no warranty if imagine they wouldnt. I dont know about anyone else.

In the UK it is worth the risk because prices are so much better, but for you guys in the US, thats probably not so clear cut.

Ad

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input. For me, the main reason is that I'm pretty certain this is the projector I want, and as I've already arranged to sell my current rear projection tv this week, I would be without any television at all until next January or whenever they get around to releasing to the US.

So as long as the price isn't significantly worse than getting it here, and there aren't any compatibility problems with the power, etc. Then it's a good deal for me. I was also concerned about the menus, and if they would be in english as well as japanese.

As far as the warranty goes, I can't imagine it would be a problem. Plus, my wife is Japanese and her father lives in Japan. I could just send it to him and have him take it to a panasonic dealer for repairs, etc.

Thanks again,

Ken

·
Registered
527 Posts
ive been investigating further..... the manual would be in japanese. Im also guessing (if it mattered) that the resale value would be low.

Ad

·
Registered
546 Posts
I thought when you bought from these Japanese overseas sources that the manual came in English as well as Japanese. Check with the AVS sponsor and see.

·
Registered
527 Posts
maybe the sponsor you mean is different from the guys about whom im talking....... can you not even mention the names of site sponsors?

Ad

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sure, it's the place in Japan that sells for a good Price.

My Yamaha LPX500 manual was Japanese only, but the full English manual was available for download online.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
My Yamaha LPX500 manual was Japanese only, but the full English manual was available for download online.
Ditto on my AE100, Japanese with the unit and English via pdf download

Of course, when the english translation will be available is anyone's guess.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Menus are switchable to different languages, including English. I think it might come as Japanese as the default, but it's pretty trivial to change. My AE100 has little icons that make it easy to find the languages option, then "English" is also pretty obvious. :)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Regarding warranty, sometimes the manufacturer will honor the warranty in your country (Sony is apparently good with this), or, worst case, you return the PJ to Japan, where your exporter will act as middleman for warranty repairs.

I haven't regretted my purchase one bit. Admittedly, I haven't had any problems with the PJ, but service from p-r-i-c-e-j-a-p-a-n was exemplary, I got the PJ in 2 days, and I think it's kinda cool to have a unit with lots of kanji on it. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, I'm new to all this, and didn't realize how much prices drop. I was a little disappointed with the MSRPs of the AE500 and the Z2. I just visited one of the Japanese price search sites, and the prices dropped before the projectors even went on sale. Anything is still a big purchase for me though...(maybe I can convince myself the manual would help me brush up on Japanese ;))

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I bought my AE100 for myself as well as some other electronics for a friend and was very pleased with the service both times. They got items to me quicker than some US dealers might have.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, I've been stationed in Japan for two years now and have been researching projectors for about 4-5 months and I just now found out (through this thread) about the Japanese website that no one wants to name =) Up here in Northern Japan it's been difficult to get out and see some of the "hot" projectors, but the site definitely has some good prices. Wonder if I could save anything on shipping since it would still technically be shipped within Japan! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bedo

Man, that's what I call planning ahead! :D
Now that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time!!!:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.