AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Sharp XV-Z2000 will be out (supposedly) next month. It has the HD2+ chip, 6 segment color wheel, 2500:1 contrast, 1200 lumens, and will likely hit the streets at less than $3500 ($4000 MSRP). Obviously thats $1300 or so more than the AE-700 so it's not exactly in the same price category (but not far off). Anyoe else considering these options?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
RobZ, why are you not considering the Sony or Sanyo?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the process of putting together my first HT in over a decade (former owner of the ancient sharpvision XV-H30U LCD back in 1991).

Anyway, I am debating between Panasonic AE 700/Sony HS-51 on the one hand (LCD) and the Sharp XVZ2000U (DLP) on the other hand.

I do see rainbows on most DLP's, but for some reason do not see them as much on the Sharp XVZ12000U unit. Don't know why that is? I am hoping the xv2000 has the same results.

When I go checkout the Sharp 2000U in the store, and bring along some test DVD's for rainbowing effect, and if I do not see them, I will probably buy it. If, however, I do see it, then I will demo both the AE 700 and the HS-51 in the stores and pick between them.

For screens, it is a toss-up between Carada 118" matte white, Da-Lite HCCV 119" or Silverstar 122" (a little large, but hi-gain compensates).

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Sony VPL-HS51 and Sanyo PLV-Z3. Sony got some terrific CR results from WSR.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think the MSRP is $4499

*Deleted street pricing*

Please read the forum posting guidelines.

Thanks,

Kyser

·
Registered
689 Posts
Rob - I'm in the same position. I have an L300U that I'd like to upgrade, and I've been following the 700 discussions closely. It seems to have nearly everything I'm looking for. Nearly.

Pretty much the only thing keeping me from eBaying my L300U and pre-ordering the 700: DUST BLOBS! So far I haven't read anything which indicates that the 700 is any better at avoiding ANNOYING dust blobs than the L300U. This is easily my biggest complaint about the 300, and it has nearly ruined me to any future projector that doesn't have a completely sealed light path. I'm sure that the CR, resolution, brightness, etc of the 700 would be a marked improvement to my 300 and therefore something that I would be thrilled about, but I also think that the first time I turn on my new $2k projector and see a big green blob on the screen I would feel like screaming. If I were going for another LCD, I would almost certainly choose the 700 over the Z3 or HS51, but I'm just not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Instead, I'm going to wait and read some reviews on the Z2000 and then go see one in person. Assuming reviews are good, and the in person viewing is good, and I don't see rainbows, and, and, and...the only thing that just *might* prevent me from purchasing is its lack of lens shift.

-tony

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
MAB, and at that difference one should really have a look at the Sony!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Rob, is SDE the only undesirable that would make you sway away from a product? What about virtual scan-lines? I caught that on an LCD projector using the Epson Smootscreen technology. All it took was fairly light object in motion. I about chuckled when I observed it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFerret
Rob, is SDE the only undesirable that would make you sway away from a product? What about virtual scan-lines? I caught that on an LCD projector using the Epson Smootscreen technology. All it took was fairly light object in motion. I about chuckled when I observed it.
Can you speak a little more as to this comment? Specifically, did remind you of a CRT scanline(I just asked a similar question in another thread after seeing a Z2 v 500 closeup screenshot. The Z2 had considerable screendoor, the 500 did not. However, the 500 appeared to have scanlines.) Also, is this only noticeable in motion? One more :D , was any motion blur or motion smear noticeable on the Panasonic you saw?

Regards,

Daniel

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Daniel, yes. 'Scan-lines' in projectors comes from the drawing of lines with a gap between them. I'm using a CRT and scan-lines for some material (resolutions) are there. Its nothing new for me. But, this is not the same for what I observed and is why I coined it virtual scan-lines. Some people call it 'peek-a-boo' scan-lines because its not constant and not typically covering the entire projected image. I only observed this vitrtual scan-line in motion and with bright (white?) objects/areas.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I owned an Ae-100 I had to deal with SD. Now, my 300 has some peekaboo scan lines if the projector is in perfect focus. It only takes minimal defocus to completely rid them and make it a non issue. Now, if the Sony only needs a little defocus to rid the SD, sounds like an excellent buy.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Out of all the projectors mentioned, I think the Sony HS51 is far and away the best projector. The Sharp XV-Z2000 "may" be close, but it is also more expensive. Of course, there are no reviews on the Sharp yet. I don't think the AE-700 is even in the same league as the HS51 from the reports I have read.

If it were me, it would be the HS51 -- no hesitation. The MSRP is $3499, but I'm guessing that if AVS were to sell it, the street price would be much lower.

Does anybody know if AVS is selling the HS51 or doing a "power buy" of some sort?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think it's impossible to make the blanket statement that the HS51 is "far and away the best projector" for everyone, because different people have different needs/wants. For someone who needs more flexibility in throw distance, or who wants to watch from within 1.5x without seeing SDE, the 700 may just be the better choice. For someone who wants a completely sealed light path to avoid the possibility of dust blobs developing, the Z2000 may be it...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tbacos
I think it's impossible to make the blanket statement that the HS51 is "far and away the best projector" for everyone, because different people have different needs/wants. For someone who needs more flexibility in throw distance, or who wants to watch from within 1.5x without seeing SDE, the 700 may just be the better choice. For someone who wants a completely sealed light path to avoid the possibility of dust blobs developing, the Z2000 may be it...
Sorry about that..... I need to be more clear. . . "FOR ME, out of all the projectors mentioned, I think the Sony HS51 is far and away the best projector. The Sharp XV-Z2000 "may" be close, but it is also more expensive. Of course, there are no reviews on the Sharp yet. I don't think the AE-700 is even in the same league as the HS51 from the reports I have read.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Makes sense, but you gotta admit that it's pretty hard to judge without actually seeing these babies in person.

I'd sure like to see the HS51, AE-700, Z3, Z2000, and H77 (to set the standard by which others can be compared) side by side. It sucks that there are almost no retail environments around to be able to adequately preview low- to mid-range projectors before buying them. If there were, I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred bucks extra to my local brick-and-mortar shop for the service and convenience, versus shopping by price alone online.

By the way, any more news on the release date of the Z2000?

-tony

·
Registered
396 Posts
To be honest the only main problem I am wondering about the SONY HS51 is the issue with dust blobs mentioned above.. that was simply one of the main reasons I went with the NEC HT1000, from switching from a previous LCD. Have LCD'S improved to teh point where dust blobs are no longer problems? Or do they still come on in 1-2 months of viewing, if that hasn't changed I will never consider a lcd even though it does appear atleast with the sony the contrast might be here.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stonepran
To be honest the only main problem I am wondering about the SONY HS51 is the issue with dust blobs mentioned above.. that was simply one of the main reasons I went with the NEC HT1000, from switching from a previous LCD. Have LCD'S improved to teh point where dust blobs are no longer problems? Or do they still come on in 1-2 months of viewing, if that hasn't changed I will never consider a lcd even though it does appear atleast with the sony the contrast might be here.
True, but after the findings by Guy Kuo regarding lamp crazing and dirty color-wheels you may be in a condition of 'ignorance is bliss' yet still a negative in effect. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFerret
True, but after the findings by Guy Kuo regarding lamp crazing and dirty color-wheels you may be in a condition of 'ignorance is bliss' yet still a negative in effect. :)
I have viewed my lamp, there is no crazing. There is light level of color-wheel myst although I'd much rather have this problem then DUST BLOBS which are way more distracting!!

DLP #1 STILL ? me think so

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.