AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for a new projector. I found these two: Panasonic AE-700 and the Sanyo Z3. Which one should I buy and why? I have a 92 inch screen and the price difference is not important.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
projectorcentral.com is slated to post a comparison sometime today. Keep an eye on their site.

reap

(personal opinion = AE700)

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If it's like their Z3 review, it won't show up until about 5 PM PDT.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
They are both very new. Indications at this point are that you cannot go wrong with either one. If you are buying imminently, then availability will be your determining factor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It amuses me terribly that we have all been talking about an AE700 vs Z3 shoot-out thread and nobody has done it, then a new guy comes along with a simple question and just bam, there's the thread :)

yes, I know there are perfectly good reasons it happened that way, please don't respond telling me what they are -- just let me have my amusement :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
so the folks at projector central have put up the shootout. quick summary. z3 offers better screen adjustment for those looking to flushmount to the ceiling, and better blacks using a special mode, but the brightness cuts off, so it would require a very dark room to take advantage of. Also they are more impressed with the lack of VB. ae700 has better zoom options, so would give better placement in a varied amount of rooms,assuming no lens shift. It is brighter overall as well. Looks like either would be a good buy. Just be honest with the room that you would be placing it in, and how you would mount. Then choose the one that meets those needs better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate Moore
. Just be honest with the room that you would be placing it in, and how you would mount. Then choose the one that meets those needs better.
SO, you feel after reading that review that it boils down to mounting options and room darkening?

I'm back in the market for a new projector for my ht. My current one is over six years old and still serves me well, even with screen door as it's only a 640x480 Sharp S55U.

My ht is dedicated room and very dark, virtually no light even during the daytime. I have a screen that is about 94" diagonal (4:3) or 77" wide and the projector is shelf mounted at the rear of the small room. The distance is about 11'6" from the front of the lens to the screen We sit a bit closer. The top of the screen is about even with the center of the projector lens.

It seems to be that I'm going to have to shift either unit's throw down about 50% and that both will shoot an image perhaps to big to match my screen at this distance. I really cannot get it much closer, maybe 6" tops.

So, if I described this room correctly, now which unit do you think would serve me better?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
COEX-Pilot,

For your information, both the Z3 and the AE700 have the center of the lens aimed at the center of the screen without lens shift. From your description, you have the ideal placement location for either one.

If we can take projector central's comparison literally, the Z3 would be slightly better for your use (light controlled room always). For my use, it sounds like the AE700 might be slightly better.

I had an even older Sharp (640 x 480) and I now have a Panisonic L300 (960 x540). I can tell you, from personal experience, that just about any of the current crop of LCD PJs will give you a tremendous improvement in viewing enjoyment. You wil not be disappointed with either one of these two PJs.

I'd recommend that you get whichever one you can get a better deal on. However, please get one from an authorized dealer! If you have problems, that could make the difference between satisfaction and an expensive disappointment.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
COEX-Pilot,

Welcome aboard! (my wife is a CO FA out of EWR)

I think you'd be best served by the ae700. Looking at the PJcentral throw calculator it'll shoot a pic from 51" to ~98" wide at 11'6" throw distance. Additionally, it's designed to be placed on a shelf (front exhaust).

The Z3 @ 11'6" throw will shoot a pic from 77" to ~98" wide. So it'll just barely squeeze it in. I suspect it's a side exhaust (like my Z2), so that might not help either.

here's the calculator for the ae700:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=2606

here's the calculator for the Z3:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=2652

Dave

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I for one was relieved to read in the latest projectorcentral.com 700 vs. Z3 shoot-out that they have retracted their earlier unfavorable impressions of the 700's scaler. I was thinking that I would have to upgrade to an HDMI DVD player but now it sounds like the 700's scaler is top-notch.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I just wish that pjcentral would have been more specific about each units dynamic iris mode. How well does this mode perform relative to contrast.

They mentioned the Z3's theater black mode, but I'm sure that is a low lamp mode, and not the dynamic iris mode which is supposed to offer optimal brightness and contrast. Did I miss something :confused:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I would take the review with a grain of salt. If you want to reduce contrast and increase black level on the AE-700, add a Hoya filter or other filter. VB will likely be reduced with simple adjustments.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Quote:"I just wish that pjcentral would have been more specific about each units dynamic iris mode"

They seem to have missed the whole dynamic iris feature completely. How strange.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Quote:
According to the review....the AE700 wins it hands down IMO
Seemed fairly close to me. What part did you take to be a "hands down" conclusion?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveInBerlinNJ
COEX-Pilot,

Welcome aboard! (my wife is a CO FA out of EWR)

I think you'd be best served by the ae700. Dave
Dave, ((ERW based myself after Feb, now IAH))

I tend to agree with you about the AE700! I'm 99% sure I'm going to order one of these. No doubt (as mentioned by another poster) I'm going to see a dramatic improvement no matter which unit I order but why not get the one that is best at the moment.

I just purchased the Toshiba DVD with the HDMI output and that's going to be my primary input. I also have component cables running to my Sharp so I'll be able to compare which method produces the best picture.

I did use the calculator before I posted and must have misread it (late at night, no doubt) regarding the size. It works fine at 11 ft for my existing screen size.

One further note, I do not plan on having any HDTV, just DVD viewing (at least for now) so I'm focusing on DVD playback results.

Lastly, (for CT_Wibe), my mounting location will require almost all the down lens shift as I mentioned that the center of lens points directly at the top of my screen. So I believe that will require almost a 50% shift downward to get the top of the image to the top of the screen...or did I miss something here?? Seem either unit can accommodate my needed shift.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.