AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been lurking on the forum for quite a long time, and figured it was time to finally post! Anyway, my first question has to do with the AE100. I currently have a 4:3 Sony 53" RPTV that I got about a year ago and use for all my TV/DVD viewing. I decided on a 4:3 TV, because I wanted to use the TV for normal TV viewing 90% of the time, and I was planning on eventually putting in a FP system for DVDs and maybe HDTV.

I am now looking to begin putting together a front projector system for DVD viewing, and am leaning toward starting with the AE100 based on price and the good things I have heard about it on this forum. My long term goal is to upgrade the AE100 to something with more resolution (maybe along the lines of the Sharp 9000), but I want to wait for a few more generations to unfold. The AE100 will at least let me begin to enjoy movies on the bigger screen!

Because of my TV setup, my center channel speaker is in an entertainment center above the TV. As a result, any screen that would be used with a front projector system would cover the speaker, and thus need to be perforated. My plan is to get a ceiling mounted, electric screen, maybe a Stewart Greyhawk or something similar from Da-lite or other manufacture (I know, a microperf electric screen will cost much more than the AE100 projector, but I plan on keeping the screen through any upgrades of the projector, so I don't mind spending the $$ on the screen upfront).

My question is can I use a microperf screen with the AE100? I have heard some perf screens (especially smaller ones) have problems with some LCD projectors. I envision a screen somewhere about 80-92" diagonal. I did a search and can't find anything specific to the AE100. Anyone ever try this, and if so, what was the result? Additionally, does anyone think a particular screen is better for this purpose? Thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
After looking at the specs on the AE-100 I would say that you are most likely going to experience the moire effect when using a 92" or less microperf screen. If you have to use a "smaller" screen then check with www.cgns.com to see if they have a lens "processor" to use with your chosen projector (the AE-100). If they don't, then you can either use a larger screen or change to a projector that they have a lens for.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Can the IMX-VT Technology help reduce screen door in any way? That would be interesting :) Although, upon examining the website, it looks too costly to be effective. Rather than using the IMX-VT Technology on an AE100, it would be more logical to buy the 75U or TW100 instead?

Anybody have any experience with these IMX-VT Technology thingys ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
jhagler,

My existing DirectTV + CC speaker on top is similar to yours. But you know what?

As soon as my wife saw the 75U (not AE100) showing Moulin Rouge, she actually volunteered to move down the heavy poor old TV on the floor or as I suggested, I will just redo the cabinet supporting the TV, lower the the setup overall so no interference on the image vs. speaker.

Now that takes away the expense of the perf and all the questions about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave:

That is what I figured, moire would be a problem. I knew about the lens processor, but putting a $895 processor on a $1350 projector didn't seem to make much sense. Maybe I will just look into different projector technology, knowing that my costs may go up a bit. How would DLP projectors be with the microperf screens?

Latecomer:

Thanks for the suggestion, but with the way the entertainment center is set-up, the only way to move the center channel below screen level would be to place it in front of the TV on the ground. I think I will figure something out with the microperf, or maybe just rethink the entire setup!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I want to second what LateCOmer said!

I would strongly avoid any perfed screen in a HT. Unless your first row of seats is over 12 feet back, you will notice the perfs even if only subconsciously. Actually, I think this is part of the cause of dlp headaches. The pattern of pixels is too small to actually see, but your brain knows the pattern is there. If there is a second pattern of perfs overlaying it--yuck!

If you are really serious about building a long term HT, get rid of the obstructions and have your screen against the wall, with any cabinets as a shadowbox around it. Dump the huge RPTV if you can't have a decent size screen above it (low ceiling)--floorspace is nice to have. Or, raise the RPTV and have the center channel & cabs under it; as long as the speakers are a foot or so off the floor, you can angle them up to the viewing area without destroying imaging.

In the long run, you will be happier if you arrange your FP screen and seating area optimally and make the room fit around it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
How would DLP projectors be with the microperf screens?
I have not tried the IMX with a DLP. I am not sure Cygnus makes an IMX that will fit any of the current DLPs. The IMX was initially made to reduce the screen door effect created by LCD projectors. LCD projectors have a smaller "fill factor" then LCOS and DLP projectors so I don't believe CYGNUS has tried it yet. A side effect from the IMX was the reduction/elimination of the moire effect when digital projectors were mated with under 92" perforated screens. If the funds are there, you could try to increase the screen size to 96" and use a DLP projector. What this would do is, by increasing the size of the screen to 96" (or better 103") you eliminate the moire effect. With the DLPs better "fill factor" the screen door effect is mitigated. Having seen several of the current DLPs and LCOS (Sharpvision, Marantz and Hitachi) I don't think screen door is an issue anymore.

I have used the Vutec screens 103", 92" and 96". Vutec does not make a microperf, it make a standard perforated screen. With the Stewart microperf the holes are smaller and less noticable. I would not think the microperf would cause additional problems. I would think it would provide a smoother image. Let us know what you decide to do and how it comes out.

Quote:
would strongly avoid any perfed screen in a HT. Unless your first row of seats is over 12 feet back, you will notice the perfs even if only subconsciously.
Sorry, FlatusM but this has not been my experience with perforated screens. The three I have installed ranging in size from 92-103 inches 16:9 aspect ratio, sitting eight feet from the screen has been sufficient to provide a smooth clear image with no headaches.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.