AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Been lurking for a bit. Being poor, I got myself an AE100 (big surprise).

I have been messing around with it, trying to get good color out of it, and I do not seem to be making any progress.

Materials & Methods:

RP56 (progressive scan) DVD player, using component video.

Using el-cheapo brand video cables.

Screen is a white painted wall.

The projector is approximately 15 feet away.

"Test" movies are MIB, and The Fifth Element (borrowed from a neighbor).

Using the color controls on the AE100 for adjustments.

Problem:

Will Smith keeps coming out slightly green, or his partner slightly red. If I adjust the color for a particular scene, a lighter, or darker scene will be off.

Bruce Willis (sp?) keeps looking too red, or too green depending on light/dark scene.

I did a search, and have not found any good insights on what to do, or look for.

Help!

PS Love the forum - I have learned much the past few months.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
/sarcasm on

Let's see... You're using a white painted wall for a screen and using a movie to calibrate your video settings, hmmmm....

/sarcasm off

Look at buying a video calibration disc such as AVIA as a first step, and possibly a cheap dalite or DIY screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS

Look at buying a video calibration disc such as AVIA as a first step, and possibly a cheap dalite or DIY screen. [/b]
I was thinking about that, but it did not make sense for a wall to affect the color on dark vs light scenes. But, I am a heathen (goat skin pants 'n all). :)

I want to get a cal CD (just need to find where to get one) - but do you really think the wall paint color could be the problem? I could see the color always being wrong if it was the paint, but just on light (or just dark) scenes? I know nothing about this type of phenomenon, seems counterintuitive to me. If so, I will probably do the Parkland Plastics thing for a proper test. I am getting a real screen - just want to make sure the projector is behaving correctly first. That, and screen selection seems to require a lot of reading - not quite up to speed there yet.

Thanks for your initial comments.

Guess I have to dance around the fire some more - perhaps sacrifice something. I'll go check the fridge.....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hehe, you can verify the operation of the PJ by turning the projector on without any inputs and then at the options menu hold the enter button for more than 2 seconds. There you will find a pseudo service menu in which you can display R G & B fields. I forget the intimate details but you should be able to tell pretty quickly if everything is ok.

Here is a post that has more details on displaying individual colors:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=139940

BTW The colors are pretty good out of the box on the AE100. If the service menu colors look good I would suspect something with the component connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.