AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a post a week or two back, it was realized that the power cord input on the AE100 was not a standard IEC Male inlet. I found out that the type used was called a "Trinocular IEC320 C-5", also found on of all things, Compaq Laptop computers. So, what to do if an owner would like to use an aftermarket shielded power cable? After looking @ numerous websites selling computer cables (PCCables.com, a2cables.com, CompUSA.com, ect.),

I thought I would try one more site to see if I could find anything that would work (and also dismissing the idea of replacing the power cord inlet on the AE100 with a standard 15A IEC Furutech inlet - too much trouble for an unskilled non-electrician like myself). So, I tried the Radio Shack website and found exactly what I was looking for. Why not make a short adapter cable to plug-in to the AE100, that will accept the female IEC plug of custom power cables?! So, here are the part numbers from RadioShack.com for those interested:

#61-2868 AC Power Cord - Compaq

#910-3428 In-line Computer Power Plug (IEC Male)

Just measure the length you want from the Compaq cord, cut it, and attach the IEC Male power plug. Presto!!!! An instant power cable adapter for less than $10!!!!! I got this idea from the Ultralink Cables website, as they sell a 7" adapter cable w/ an IEC Male plug on one end and a Binocular IEC Female plug on the other (which is found on some CD, DVD, and Satellite boxes). Well, I hope this helps anyone with their AE100 pj, unless of course you have already taken care of the problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The cable is also refered to (jargon) as a "mickey mouse" cable - look at the end and you'll figure out why. That's the search term I used to find several vendors. NEC uses them, too. I've never found a shielded one either - nice solution. HNick

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HNick,

That's a great name for it. It really does look like a "Mickey Mouse". Thanks for the thumbs up. Yeh, I look at so many websites for a shielded one also, and came up with nothing. At least with the DIY adapter cable, you can make it really short (say 6" or so), and use a good aftermarket power cable. I just hope it won't hurt the performance of a good cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.